25l recipe ended up with 15l in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy505

Reaction score
Hello,

I did my first brew on my own today and followed a 25l recipe for a batch size of 20l.

I followed everything to the T, strike water amount, sparge water amount, everything. But when I got to the fermenter it only filled to 15l and not 20l batch size I expected.

I am a little worried now that the hop additions will be out and the beer with end up super bitter

I tried the wort through out the process and it was really sweet good solid wort.
Ive now tried it going into the fermenter and it is really bitter and green (as expected) but im not sure if it’s meant to taste like that.
I know it will die down over the fermentation period but as the beer gets less sweet will the hops get more bitter?

Can any body give me any advice on what to do? or if they think it will turn out just fine

Thanks

Hello,

I did my first brew on my own today and followed a 25l recipe for a batch size of 20l.

I followed everything to the T, strike water amount, sparge water amount, everything. But when I got to the fermenter it only filled to 15l and not 20l batch size I expected.

I am a little worried now that the hop additions will be out and the beer with end up super bitter

I tried the wort through out the process and it was really sweet good solid wort.
Ive now tried it going into the fermenter and it is really bitter and green (as expected) but im not sure if it’s meant to taste like that.
I know it will die down over the fermentation period but as the beer gets less sweet will the hops get more bitter?

Can any body give me any advice on what to do? or if they think it will turn out just fine

Thanks
Hello,

I wouldn't worry if I was you, your beer should taste fine. Did you account for grain absorbtion in your water calculation?

Hello,

yeah I did, and it normally goes well

but losing 10 litres over all seemed like a lot :(

How was your boil? Did you boil off a lot? Following someone else recipe to a tee might not give you the same results. Your system and theirs likely differ, as well as the processes.

Did you take any hydrometer readings? If you did, and it's high, you can add non-chlorinated water (the same source you brewed with) to add volume and get the correct OG.

Can you give us your recipe, strike and sparge water amounts? Might be some clues there.

it was a 4KG mash so I did the standard (or what I was told) 2.5l per KG starting with and sparged to the boil volume of 20l as suggested in the recipe

Back