250 gal fertilizer tank for mash ton?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53sparks

Reaction score
I have access to a 250 gal poly tank that was used for a fertilizer for potatos(not sure of the actual chemical that was inside) I would like to convert it to a mash tun for our clubs big brew days, I wanted to know if there is any way to clean the tank to make sure that it would be safe to use, and if it would do any thing to cause the beer to have off flavors.

We are just trying to figure out a way to do this on a budget, I am also looking for other larger tank ideas (100 -200 Gal)

Thanks Guys
Ron

If it was use for agriculture purpose especially fertilizer i would not use it at all for brewing it can be bad, especially on some of those chemical, but thats just my two cents.

Those tanks all have different compositions and specifications - I would check with the manufacturer to see what they say. I can't even imagine soaking it with 250 gallons of oxyclean to clean it out.

i just figured out it is a IBC tote, still don't know what kind of chemical was actually in it. I am thinking it is all pre boil part of the brewing process, but still am concerned.
Thanks for the input

It's been lots of years since the chemistry classes, but I think you would have to know what just what the poly is to know about the likelihood of it absorbing things from the fertilizer. Then you would have to know what was in the fertilizer solution before you could know how well you could expect to clear it. My wife gets laundry detergent in plastic buckets that keep smelling like the detergent for years after the bucket was emptied. The dill pickle plastic buckets I have still smelled like dill when I filled them with dirt and started hops in them. If it can get into air it can probably also dissolve in your beer. I think I'd pass on this one.

Now if you could get one of those new/unused, you should be fine.

I think i have decided not to use it. But have found livestock water tanks new for around $75, (100 gal)I know this brings up the debate about food grade plastic, but i think i am willing to take that risk?

Three Dogs I know what you mean about the dill pickle bucket!

Back