.25 gal boil off over 60 mins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I recently did my first full boil, and added 1.25 gals (to total 6.25 gals for a 5 gal recipe). It was a pretty humid day in the 80s, but it appears I was left with 6 gals in my fermenter.
I thought people typically boiled off a gallon an hour.... do you think my boil wasn't roiling enough, or is my measuring vessel off?

If could be either. How did you measure the original 6.25 gallons and the final 6 gallons?

Were you boiling on the stovetop?

So to understand you began with a pre-boil volume of 6.25 gallons with the anticipation of 1 gallon boil off to achieve 5.25 gallons? Yes, 1 gallon per hour is pretty typical even with humidity. That would be very low and would assume almost no roiling or even gentle boil vigor. What did you use to measure your volumes and were they accurate? I'll go with not enough of a vigorous boil.

Yes I'd say the boil wasn't very rigorous... in fact I've always wondered if it needs to be. Can anyone share the reasoning of why a more violent boil is preferred to a subtle one?

I average about 3 liters boil off an hour, because I am in Canada ;-)

A rolling boil is desirable because it brings the wort fully into contact with the hops and assists in the coagulation of proteins. Some residual proteins are ok because the yeast can use them to multiply, but too much will create a haze in the finished beer.

The burner does not have to be going full blast as long as you can see that there is a lot of mixing going on in the boiler and the hops are not just sitting there clumped up on the surface.

A vigorous boil in extract brewing is to provide the proper concentration of wort to meet the desired OG as well as the proper utilization factors for the hop additions. In AG brewing the same holds true but also has an effect on driving off certain unwanted elements like DMS which can be produced by certain grains such as Pilsner malt.

Back