240v System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwood1377

Reaction score
So looking to ditch my propane top tier system and get a 240v single vessel biab system. Looking at Unibrau, Clawhammer and High Gravity. Initially thought I was going to have to go with a 120v system but then realized about my electric dryer being 240. My confusion is with 3 prong vs 4 and will this limit which system I can get. I've attached a photo with my current outlet. Thanks.
20181216_225821.jpeg

You might want to turn off the breaker for that outlet, and look inside the junction box to see if it is really just 3 wires supplied, or if the feed is 4 wires, with only three going to the outlet. You can easily change the outlet and the plug on your drier if you actually have 4 wires in the junction box.

Brew on :mug:

I also noticed that this outlet says 10-30r and one of the systems I was looking at, can't remember which one off the top of my head said about a 10-30P. Not sure what the difference would be.

R means receptacle P means plug. These should work together.

Three wire has two hot wires for 240 volts and a ground. Four wire adds a neutral so you can have 120 volts too, needed for controls and lights unless the system has an internal transformer

R means receptacle P means plug. These should work together.

Three wire has two hot wires for 240 volts and a ground. Four wire adds a neutral so you can have 120 volts too, needed for controls and lights unless the system has an internal transformer
120v is only needed for 120v pumps really, all led indicators are available in 240v and every pid ive ever seen can be powered off 240v or 120v. You can also just buy 240v pumps if you havent bought them yet. (or use a separate outlet for the pump, or a 24v dc pump such as the TD5 with a multitap 24v powersupply that can be powered off the 240v.)

Just build a spa panel to convert a 4 prong to a 3 prong. It will likely be cheaper and easier than rewiring and/or replacing the breaker with GFCI

Just build a spa panel to convert a 4 prong to a 3 prong. It will likely be cheaper and easier than rewiring and/or replacing the breaker with GFCI

The OP is going in the opposite direction 3 to 4.... Isn't GFCI safer with either 4 or 3 prong? Or do you incorporate GFCI into the spa panel?

ground and neutral are the same on a 3 wire house, you can get 115v control off of it, it works perfectly, go to lowes and find the plug that fits that dryer outlet they have it as a mater of fact they have one that's dual, strait or L
This is where you should have also added that they are only allowed to be bonded and considered the "same " in the main breaker panel and there are concerns with doing what you suggest and thats why its against NEC code to do what your suggesting by using the ground and neutral interchangeably or as both.

It will work but be aware.

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt really looking to do any type of electrical work, just more so of the 3 systems working with what I have. It does seem that the clawhammer is out based on the 4 prong wire. I know the high gravity has the option to use a 3 prong but not sure about the Unibrau.

I'm assuming although I could be wrong that something like this might work?View attachment 602921
That has potential problems written all over it.
  • In order to use the 'not-hot' wire in a three wire outlet as the neutral, it should be insulated, since neutral carries current in normal operation. If not insulated, it should only be used as equipment ground.
  • You still need to find a ground somewhere to hook up the green pigtail.
  • Having the ground connection separate from the plug means you can plug this in without the ground connected. Normal plugs are designed so that the ground pin makes contact inside the receptacle before the current carrying pins (hots and neutral.)
Brew on :mug:

Back