240V 5500W low watt density element temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt2

Reaction score
How hot does the element itself gets when it's on at full power? I'm trying to decide if I need to insulate my HERMS coil that is above my heating element. The HERMS coil sits barely above the element and I want to make sure it doesn't accidentally touch the coil.

I'm trying to figure out if the element itself stays under 500F. Because if it does I was thinking of putting a piece of high temp silicone rubber hose around that section of my HERMS coil. To make act as an insulator to keep the coil from touching the element.

The element shouldnt get much above the boiling point of water, 100C as the water is cooling it constantly unless of course you dry fire it by accident then it will glow red...

Of course at mash temperatures it will be even lower

The element shouldnt get much above the boiling point of water, 100C as the water is cooling it constantly unless of course you dry fire it by accident then it will glow red...

Of course at mash temperatures it will be even lower
Theres more to it than that.... It all depends on the watt density of the element surface and if its firing at 100% power. This is why scorching occurs with some elements or in some circumstances and ultra low watt density elements are the safest bet for direct heating of wort.
That said in this case the coil could even be touching the element and with the liquids both outside the coil in the kettle and the moving liquid in the herms it will not be an issue.

Back