24 Yr old bottle of Dragon Stout - tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I opened a 24 year old bottle of dragon stout (jamaica) Monday night. I bought this myself in 1987.

Absolutely no carbonation. Poured still. Slight sherry aroma. First taste reminded me of Worcestershire sauce, but wasn't disgusting. No sourness. No hop flavor or aroma. By the second sip it was really quite enjoyable.

I shared this with about 5 or 6 others in my beer group. Every one of them thought it was somewhere between "interesting" and "hey, that's pretty good".

Honestly, I thought this would be a dumper. What a surprise.

Did you intend to save this beer for so long or did you forget about it?

Did you intend to save this beer for so long or did you forget about it?

It's been sitting on a shelf with a bunch of other knick knacks from trips. Momentos. I wasn't even really curious until now. There is a guy in my beer group I meet with every Monday night who brings unique and rare beers for everyone to try. This was my contribution this week.

Sounds cool :) I've started setting aside a single bottle of each batch of my beer to age for a year before I crack it open. I'm only 23 years away!

This is cool. I bought some Dragon Stout (from the same brewery as Red Stripe i believe) last year in New York and couldn't drink too many. It was way too sweet and the alcohol burned. Did it still have an overpowering sweetness after all those years? Hell, i cant even imagine it being the same consistently brewed beer.

Back