24 qt. Pot Not Big Enough for 5 gal. boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
So I was looking at this product http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=2320

So it's a 6 gal. pot. I think that would be fine for a 5 gal boil especially if you use Fermcap. I've been running 3 gallon boils in my pot with only an inch of space and never had any boilovers/excessive foaming.

Is there any reason a 6 gallon pot wouldn't be big enough for a 5 gallon full boil?

Yes. I have nearly boiled over a ten gallon pot with a full five gallon boil... A five gallon boil actually starts with about six and a half gallons so that you end with five gallons after you loose volume to boil off.

So I was looking at this product http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=2320

So it's a 6 gal. pot. I think that would be fine for a 5 gal boil especially if you use Fermcap. I've been running 3 gallon boils in my pot with only an inch of space and never had any boilovers/excessive foaming.

Is there any reason a 6 gallon pot wouldn't be big enough for a 5 gallon full boil?

Are you doing all grain or extract? If you are an extract brewer, you would get most of the benefit of a full wort boil by starting the boil with 4 1/2 to 5 gallons and topping off the fermenter with water. Alternatively, you could top off the kettle with water during the boil. If you are doing all grain, you really should consider getting a kettle with at least a 7-gallon capacity.

For now, just extract with adjunct grains.

Also, I've only ever had a close call with boilover on the one batch I did before I started using a hop bag. Seemed the hop pellets seeded the boil and made it want to foam. Ever since I've used a bag I've had zero problems. Last brewday I even ran to the hardware store while my brew was boiling.

You should also consider where you see yourself going with this hobby. If you expect you'll be moving toward all grain sometime in the future, or wanting to do large batches without having to babysit the pot, than I would get a bigger pot. OTOH, if you want to stick with the KISS principal, and minimize your costs, I successfully made fine 5g extract batches with a 6.5g pot. So long as you are careful with flame control after malt/hop additions, you should be fine.

That said, bigger is always better, right?

Back