24 hrs delayed boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
Sunday, I had my most painfull brew session:

1. My sparge stuck, twice.
2. I couldn't get my mash temp above 144 F for reason 1, above.
3. I'm sure I got plenty of HSA do to reason 1, above.
4. Tropical Depression Ike shut off my power just after the sparge, but before the boil, so I decided to quit and leave the wort to boil monday.

Monday, almost 24hrs later, my wort went sour (I think). I boiled it up, anyway, and did my normal routine. I pitched my yeasties, and the fermentation took off in 12 hours (normal).

My main worry is that I have no sense of smell. I was born without it, and no, I wasn't dropped as a baby (I think). I couldn't smell the wort before or after boiling, and I can't smell the fermentation either. The fermentation and boil *looked* normal. The pre-boil wort tasted sour.

What's the deal?

Sounds like you're brewing a Sour Ale. I love sour beers, especially Lambics!

In the future you may want to keep a few Camden tablets on hand. Just crush up 1 per gallon and add to the wort. Should kill any beasties and give you about 24 hours grace.

Paul

If you like the zip of lemonade with a nice alcohol kick, you should like sour beers. Lambics (LayMeister) and Berlinner Weiss' are exceptionally tasty.

you are you are.

I put a lot of effort into my sour ale....you're getting one effortlessly....almost.

Sounds GREAT!

If you don't like it....put the word out. Plenty of us like sour beer!

Barley grains are rife with lactobaccilus bacteria. That's why they say not to grind your grain in the same area as your fermenters. So yes, it's probably a bit sour. I wouldn't worry about HSA, it's a homebrewers bogeyman.

Very interesting. I not did know lacto grew along with barley. I've never had a sour beer, nor did I know how to make one. I guess I do now! Now I'm really pumped about tasting the beer. The wort didn't taste horribly sour, just a bit different and less sweet than I'm used to.

Back