24 hours no sign of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirly_boy

Reaction score
Hi, I started my first ever batch of homebrew yesterday and i think i have a problem.
I used a beer kit that has been sitting around my house for a long time. I am sure i did evrything right and had evrything perfectly sanitized but its been 24 hours and i still don't have any bubbling in my air lock. I think the Yeast must have been bad but i'm not sure.. can i add another batch of yeast now?
How long should i wait until i am sure that its not fermenting?

was there a "use by" date on the yeast pack?
was the temp below 80 degrees when you added the yeast?
it can take 24-48 hours for ferment to start depending on a number of factors.
it can't hurt to pitch another pack of dry yeast that is in date for insurance .

it was at about 65 degrees when i put the yeast in.......

I don't have any more brewing yeast....does normal cooking yeast work?

I really don't kno anything about yeast....:drunk:

swirly_boy said:
it was at about 65 degrees when i put the yeast in.......

I don't have any more brewing yeast....does normal cooking yeast work?

I really don't kno anything about yeast....:drunk:

No, don't add cooking yeast- that's a whole different ballgame! Wait another 24 hours before you worry too much, and try to keep your fermenter at 68 degrees if you can.

Not that I know anything as I am new to this, but my second (and current) batch took almost 36 hours to show signs of fermentation. Now, it is fermenting like crazy. Maybe you'll have the same luck. :mug:

I did a lager once and pitched older (not expired) white labs yeast cold, about 45F. After 7 days, it still had not started fermenting. I had it at 45F the whole time. I finally gave in and put a heat pad on the carboy on low. It warmed to 65F and took off. After a day or two at 65F, I turned off the heat and it cooled to 45F and fermented for 32 days. I am now enjoying that badboy with no off flavors that I can detect. Sometimes it just takes patience and creativity and in the end you get beer!

I'd start to worry after 48hours. But as long as the beer is sealed it should be fine. My IPA that i just made took 48hours to start and when she did she took off!

Relax and have a home brew!

Sooooo many factors can affect lag time with yeast. Aeration, temperature, pitching volumes, etc. can all help or hurt the delay in fermentation. I wouldn't even consider re-pitching until 72 hours or so. And don't use baking yeast.

Also, this sounds stupid, but MAKE SURE your seal on your carboy/bucket is good and that you have a sufficient amount of water in your airlock. In the future, try making a yeast starter to ensure your yeast is good before you pitch it.

48 hours and i have some signs of fermentation! :ban: My airlock is bubbling a couple times evry five minutes....looks like its starting to kick off! thanks for the help...next time i think i will try making a starter first...:tank:

Back