24 hours no sign of fermentation starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
Using a Belle Saison yeast and 100% raw unpasteurised juice.
I added a campden tablet, then 12 hours later some pectic enzyme and shook it, then 12 hours later pitched 1g of yeast dry not rehydrated.
Not showing any signs of fermentation after 24 hrs.
One jug looks like the edge has bubbles but they've been like that since I shook up the juice.

Patience! I wish I could always predict why some take off slower than others- sure there's the lower pitch rate, or lower temp- but I recently just experienced a slow take off on a slurry- something I hadn't seen yet (they seemed to start more rapidly). I do use O2 as well, though I didn't on this last (small test) batch. Maybe that was why... Lets hope tomorrow its different!

Wait for 48 hrs and if no activity I would repitch a couple grams rehydreatd. but I would bet that it will start soon

Wait for 48 hrs and if no activity I would repitch a couple grams rehydreatd. but I would bet that it will start soon

Still nothing so I've pitched another gram rehydrated.
Starting to think it's either the yeast or maybe there juice had preservatives. It was sold 100% raw unpasteurised at the market but I'm guessing they have to kill off bugs somehow. Does sorbate only act against yeast or kill bacteria too?

Still nothing so I've pitched another gram rehydrated.
Starting to think it's either the yeast or maybe there juice had preservatives. It was sold 100% raw unpasteurised at the market but I'm guessing they have to kill off bugs somehow. Does sorbate only act against yeast or kill bacteria too?

Sorbate will inhibit yeast, and also bacteria growth.

If a juice has sorbate, it shouldn't ferment.

How bit of a batch are you making, using 1 gram of yeast?

Sorbate will inhibit yeast, and also bacteria growth.

If a juice has sorbate, it shouldn't ferment.

How bit of a batch are you making, using 1 gram of yeast?

2 x 1 gallon batches. Pitched 1g dry in each then today (48hrs later), pitched another 1 gram but rehydrated in each. 4 grams total split between 2 gallon jugs.
Could be the yeast batch but unlikely given it was in a sealed pack.
But then the juice was sold as unpasteurised 100% natural too.

2 x 1 gallon batches. Pitched 1g dry in each then today (48hrs later), pitched another 1 gram but rehydrated in each. 4 grams total split between 2 gallon jugs.
Could be the yeast batch but unlikely given it was in a sealed pack.
But then the juice was sold as unpasteurised 100% natural too.

For a 1 gallon batch, a whole 5-6 gram package is fine. I would NOT reduce it to so little.

Patience! I wish I could always predict why some take off slower than others- sure there's the lower pitch rate, or lower temp- but I recently just experienced a slow take off on a slurry- something I hadn't seen yet (they seemed to start more rapidly). I do use O2 as well, though I didn't on this last (small test) batch. Maybe that was why... Lets hope tomorrow its different!

I may be wrong but yeast turn to fermentation in an anaerobic environment and produce sterols and other chemicals they need to ferment in an aerobic environment. They use more energy respiring in an anaerobic condition than they do in an aerobic one. Once the O2 is used up the yeast can still respire but I think they prefer an aerobic environment, so when you aerate the wort or the must you are in fact creating the conditions for a lag in their beginning to ferment. I wonder if that offers you a basis for predicting whether there will be any or much of a lag time...
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/how_yeast_use_oxygen

With my batch of cider I used about 7g of yeast (weighed) and it took 48 hours before fermenting to begin. When it did it took off like crazy. I also used a yeast nutrient. I am getting ready to rack to secondary this week.

Well... it has started with a nice bubble rate and krausen. Not sure if it was the rehydrated yeast or the first lot but seems good!

Supposedly unpasteurised cider can only be kept for 48hrs out of the fridge.
Any problems with doing a 12hr campden, 12 hour pectniase, then waiting 72hrs for fermentation to startÉ

Back