23 oz of hops In one batch, turned out amazing so far!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
This was my 6th batch so far, a Black Rye Imperial IPA. OG: 1.1 and FG: 1.018. Used 8oz Choco, 8oz Choco rye, 8oz caramunich II, 8oz crystal 40L, 6.6 gold lme, 3.3 amber lme, 3.3 dark lme, as far as fermentables go. Hops were 4oz warrior spread through first 20 min of boil, 4oz centennial spread through middle of boil, and 4oz Simcoe trough last 20 min of boil. Used 4oz siminar for blackness, and threw in 2 oz west coast oak chips after primary fermentation was completed. 1week before racking to secondary I threw in 2oz Simcoe 2oz Columbus pellets, racked to secondary and threw in 2oz columbus, 1oz centennial, 1oz Simcoe. It has been sitting for about 24 hours since then and time of racking tastes AMAZING. Almost like a blend of Sierra Nevada ruthless rye and Oskar blues deviant dales. I have three ounces of Columbus left that need to be used so at bottling I was just gonna stick them in a Muslin bag and put them on the bottom of the bottling bucket. Kind of give it a randal the enamel finish :) My goal was to use all the ingrediants I had at my disposal and end up with a beer I could enjoy fresh hop flavor and aroma several months from now, because I know what your thinking, days alota hops, maybe even a waste? Id like to think not, overkill? Maybe. yea, but it's all about what I like right?

Can't wait to see what its like at bottling and after carbonation! So far a successful frankenbrew and successful 6th batch. So, maybe I will start the first hop heads annonymous convention?

My brain hurts. I'm a little confused about the hops in the bottling bucket....? Are you just trying to use up some extras, cuz the time they're in the bucket won't do anything. I'd save them for another batch, columbus is a great hop.

My brain hurts. I'm a little confused about the hops in the bottling bucket....? Are you just trying to use up some extras, cuz the time they're in the bucket won't do anything. I'd save them for another batch, columbus is a great hop.

Indeed, these are going to get used or I will give them away. After this batch is bottled I will be on assignment for at least 3 months before I get about 1 week to see the fam, then back on assignment for another 3 months. I just figured what the hell, couldn't hurt, a little soakage at the bottom of the bottling bucket with glass marbles. I won't have have the time to brew another batch for appx 6-7 months from now.

Indeed, these are going to get used or I will give them away. After this batch is bottled I will be on assignment for at least 3 before I get about 1 week to see the fam, then back on assignment for another 3 weeks. I just figured what the hell, couldn't hurt, a little soakage at the bottle of the bottling bucket with glass marbles. I won't have have the time to brew another batch for appx 6-7 months from now.

Ahhhhh... now that makes more sense, I'd use 'em somehow too, they won't be the same in 6 months. That's a beast of a brew you got there, do you happen to know the estimated IBU? It's gotta be through the roof, the typical Pliny the Elder clone uses 16 oz for ~5 gal an clocks in at ~284 IBU (rager) in my software. I'm guessing you're up in that stratosphere. I love love hops, but I commend your pursuit of hoppiness. :mug:

Back