23 jet propane burner spec's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whackenstack

Reaction score
I just found a 23 jet burner assembly at a local resturant supply store and I was wanting to build a enclosure for it. I was thinking square with a piece of pipe to mount the burner to. My question is how far from the surface of the keggle is the burner placed on comercial versions of this? Also anyone with a pic of a single burner they made would be really appritiated.

I run mine pretty close. I think 2.5-3" away from the bottom of the keggle. 23 jets are definitely overkill. I took quite a few of the jets out and plugged the holes with machine screws. Still plenty of BTUs coming through too.

Not a single burner, but heres mine. ACE hardware/LOWES/HD have all the galvanized pipes and fittings you'll need. And as you can see I went a bit overboard with the teflon paste

complete_008.jpg

brew_0051.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply how big of a surface do I need to heat up a keggle. I want to make a square surface what dimension does it need to be for a keggle?

Hey Chimone, are you doing 10 gal batches? I have heard a few people around here who have said the 23 jets are too big for a keggle set up. How do you think they would work for a 1 barrel set up? Actual batch size will be around 25 gals., as the MLT, mashtun, and brew kettle are one barrel vessels. I was thinking about going w/ the 23 burners for the HLT and the brewkettle, and maybe a smaller one (10 burner?) for the Mashtun, so I won't have to worry about scorching the wort.

Thoughts??? Thanks! :mug:

yea Im doing 11 gallon batches. No its not that it's too big, it's that I don't have enough LP flowing from my regulator to push all 23 jets at once. I find the jet setup I have now works much better for what I need.

Cant say what it will do for your 1BBL setup. Should do ok though, just be prepared to use alot of LP

On my crawfish boiler / wort cooker they are 4 inches from the top of the brass jet to the pot. I have mine hooked to a 1/2 inch NG line and it runs my 23 jet just fine.

On my crawfish boiler / wort cooker they are 4 inches from the top of the brass jet to the pot. I have mine hooked to a 1/2 inch NG line and it runs my 23 jet just fine.

must be nice not having to run off a 5 gallon LP tank

It's not just about how large the supply line is but how long it is before it hits the main trunk. I have like 40' of 1/2" (mixed hose and pipe) before I hit the 1" trunk and that's just too long to run all 23 tips nicely. Now that I'm only running 13 tips, I can supply two burners at once on 3/4 flame.

If the supply is not an issue, I think the 10 tip one is good for 10g batches and then the 23 tip is probably adequate for 15-20g. The 32 tip is where I'd go for 25+ providing your kettle is wide enough.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I am gonna be using natural gas for sure.

I plan on doing 25 gallons for a std. batch, probably 15-20 for test batches of a new recipe.

Sounds like I ought to go w/ the 32 tip for the HLT and the boil kettle, and go w/ the 23 tip for the Mashtun.

The 1 barrel kegs are about 22" diameter.

Do you think it wise to go with a smaller burner for the mashtun? I know you said somewhere earlier Bobby that the control for the jet burners was kinda "medium to high" with no "low" end, so to speak. I thought a smaller burner might be more prudent for the mashtun, so I could have lower heat to avoid scorching and also jacking the burner on and off all the time, as a larger burner would raise the temps faster.

That is the rub with these burners. It is nice to be able to reach strike temp directly in the MLT quickly without having to move water around, but I kinda pulse heat the mash when doing temp raising otherwise I get soot on the bottom of the tun from the low orange flame.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Do you think it wise to go with a smaller burner for the mashtun? I know you said somewhere earlier Bobby that the control for the jet burners was kinda "medium to high" with no "low" end, so to speak. I thought a smaller burner might be more prudent for the mashtun, so I could have lower heat to avoid scorching and also jacking the burner on and off all the time, as a larger burner would raise the temps faster.

I think it's very wise to go with a smaller burner on the MLT. I have the ten tip burners for 15 gallon kettles and would love to find a burner I can dial way down for the Mash. It works fine though. I had to lower my burners to nearly 4" below kettle for sootless flame.

Sounds good. Thanks for the input. I have been following your builds, Bobby, Korndog, and Chimone, with great interest and have learned a lot from you guys. They all look great, by the way!

I am thinking that the only place I might benefit from the 32 tip is the boilkettle,
as that is the only place I will really have the full 25+ gal. volume. (and the only place that will need to reach boiling temps). However, the wort is already gonna be pretty hot when it gets there, so maybe the 23 would be enough.

For the HLT, go with the 23 tip.

The more I think about it, the better the 10 tip looks for the mashtun, as even if I am doughing in w/ 50 lbs of grain @ 1.25 qt per pound, that is still only approx. 15 gals of water, which the 10 tip should handle. The way I see it, it would be more beneficial to have the lower end of the heat range for the mashtun for recirculation and better temp control w/out scorching and jacking the burner on and off.

Can't wait to try out that big false bottom I got from Jaybird!! :ban:

Waiting on my stimulus check to buy the rest of what we need for the build.

Sounds good. Thanks for the input. I have been following your builds, Bobby, Korndog, and Chimone, with great interest and have learned a lot from you guys. They all look great, by the way!

I am thinking that the only place I might benefit from the 32 tip is the boilkettle,
as that is the only place I will really have the full 25+ gal. volume. (and the only place that will need to reach boiling temps). However, the wort is already gonna be pretty hot when it gets there, so maybe the 23 would be enough.

For the HLT, go with the 23 tip.

The more I think about it, the better the 10 tip looks for the mashtun, as even if I am doughing in w/ 50 lbs of grain @ 1.25 qt per pound, that is still only approx. 15 gals of water, which the 10 tip should handle. The way I see it, it would be more beneficial to have the lower end of the heat range for the mashtun for recirculation and better temp control w/out scorching and jacking the burner on and off.

Can't wait to try out that big false bottom I got from Jaybird!! :ban:

Waiting on my stimulus check to buy the rest of what we need for the build.

Sounds like you are making the right choices. Good luck.

That's a rip on shipping when the USPS flat rate box runs $9

I've pretty much come to accept the fact that if Im too lazy or drunk to drive to the store, then Im getting raped on shipping. Only company I know who has legit shipping is McMaster

I got this link from somebody on the forum here for jet burners:

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KECABJ

Seems really strange that the 10 tips are more expensive than the 23 tip models....Weird....

I thought I remember somebody saying they were pretty low quality though...

I bought mine there. They are not made very well, but I doubt you will mind any made by a different manufacturer. You will have to seal the jet threads when you get them. They work, but are not a work of art.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the burners through tops food service. Went with the 23 tips for the HLT and boil kettle, and the 10 tip for the MLT.

Now I am thinking that I might have been better off going with the 23 tip for the MLT as well and blocking half of the burner tips, ALA Chimone. I am planning on draining the MLT directly through the bottom, instead of w/ a pickup tube. That way, I could block some of the tips that would directly hit the Mash recirculation / drain pipe.

Chimone, do you have any problem getting all the tips to light with the reduced number of jets, as shown in your pic on the first page of this thread?

Thoughts?

Without the MLT on top yes, the propane just floats away and i only get one or two to light. With the MLT in place over top the burners...no, no problem getting them all to light. But then remember Its only 3" above the burner so it keeps all that propane right where I need it.

Ok. Thanks. I think I might just go w/ the 10 tip that I already ordered. I think that will be enough heat for the mashtun.

Plus, I have already talked to their customer service once....definitely an interesting experience....

Wasn't looking forward to talking to them again...

Ok. Thanks. I think I might just go w/ the 10 tip that I already ordered. I think that will be enough heat for the mashtun.

Plus, I have already talked to their customer service once....definitely an interesting experience....

Wasn't looking forward to talking to them again...

No problem if you speak Mandarin.

Back