23 jet burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Hey out there in homebrew land..... Who's using the 23 jet burner style burner and how's it workin' for ya ?? I acquired one last week-used but in workable shape(from a place that I know burns propane.....(rules that out right away...) I cleaned this one up and mounted it into my cooker base hooked it up to a regulator and test fired it-origional test went real well(I was really surprised at how much this baby heated) . I cooked off a batch of DFH 60 min. today and got real heavy sooting of both my water kettle and my keggle...Could it be the way it's mounted ? Could it be a lack of oxygen once there is a pot on the cooker ? I don't know.....

I figured I'd ask here knowing somebody has got to be using the same set-up and had maybe the same type troubles...... Any body got pics of their mounting /application of this burner ? Lemme know. Thanks in advance. Shane

Make sure you leave plenty of space between the burner and the pot. Also adjust your flame so you dont have yellow flames (thats what causes the soot)

Any thoughts on "swiss cheesing" or cutting a series of holes around the keggle base (where the base ring meets the body) with a "shark" hole saw ? I was thinkin maybe 3/4 inch holes so as to give the flame/heat some form of relief and lessen the ability for the flames to curl downward being stuck in the keg base and allow for oxygen entry .
I don't think that with this burner heat "loss" would be a problem...my thought is that the flame would have more passage/venting and less turbulance under the keg. Lemme know. Shane

Back