23 Jet burner - first use questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Just fired up the new one barrel single tier system yesterday. Got all the sight glasses calibrated....93 gallons....one at a time....you know how it goes... the definition of tedium... However,

The pinstriping worked great! Will post some pics soon.

After cleaning of everything and calibration, we wanted to do a "wet run" with water, to see how the burners would work, as well as see how long it took to boil / cool water before doing our first brew.

Well....30 gals of water....1 hr 30 mins to boil (from a starting temp of 60*). Seemed like a long time for a 175,000 BTU burner.

I would say, based on other threads I have read here, that the burner wasnt' exactly where it should be, height wise. Too close to the bottoms of the 1 barrel kegs, perhaps?

The flame looked nice and blue for the most part, but at the top, closest to the bottom of the keg, it was orange/yellow standard flame looking, and much larger/taller than the blue jet flames. Didnt happen on every jet, or all the time, but kinda hit and miss. I am sure this is affecting my efficiency, and I am not getting all out of the burner as I could. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Maybe the carbon dioxide is getting trapped around the curved bottom of the kegs and the "apron" base and I am not getting enough oxygen. From the lowest point in the center of the keg, it is about 6" to the top of the jet burner tips. It is about 4.5" from the lowest point of the lower keg apron to the tip of the jets.

Will try to get some pics when I get a chance. My thoughts are to lower the burner a bit and try again. Or, to drill some more holes in the bottom apron to allow the gas to vent. Maybe my gas supply is not adequate?? I don't think that is the case, however.

Thanks!!:mug:

Sometimes when my burner throws a bit of orange flame, blowing across it briskly purges the pillow of co out from under the keg. It doesn't happen to me often but it always works.

I had about a half inch adjustment in the burners, so I lowered them as much as possible.

I will try blowing under them next time I fire them up. I have a small fan I could place close to the brewstand, if that solves the problem.

Thanks, Bobby.

Back