23 days in primary: Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee

Reaction score
OK...We are brewing a Brewer's Best Summer Ale kit & it has been in primary for 23 days @ 70* in my cellar.

My question is, as this seems like a long time, should I rack to secondary or bottle from primary?

23 days plus however many more until I get a spare afternoon seems like a long time to me, but this only my 3rd batch.

Thoughts?

Many of us leave our beers a month in primary anyway, and skip secondary all together unless we are adding fruit, oak or dry hopping.. There's a ton of threads on here about the subject just search "long primary" or "No Secondary" for all the reasons why.

Many have left their beer for up to 6 months in primary with no ill effects either...I personally would only go as far a 6 weeks in primary. And then straight to bottle. If I got the time to rack to secondary, then I can squeeze another 30 minutes onto that time and just bottle.

If it's already been three weeks, then you've done the clearing of the beer, so secondary is not necessary. Just get it into the bottle so you can be drinking it while summer is still here.

If fermentation is complete I would bottle. I'm not familiar with that recipe but summer ales are usually light, low gravity beers that don't require much aging. As long as the gravity is at or near expected FG and consistent you can bottle and drink in a few weeks.

I have a Fat Tire clone sitting in Primary since June 6th. Waiting on kegs to free up, been cold crashing for 2 weeks now.....waiting for kegs to free up...You'll be fine. Just go ahead and bottle from that. If it's gotta stay in longer due to other priorities, maybe throw it in a fridge if available. might as well cold crash since you have the time.

I thought I might see a post from Revvy in here :)

Anyways he hit all the good points. I usually don't touch my primary for about a month, I usually loose track of the weeks and is abotu 4-6 weeks in the primary. I just racked a beer off to a keg last night that is in that range and stuck the keg in the garage fridge until a tap opens up.

Back