225's Electric HERMS 20 Gallon Brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Village idiot
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm putting together a 20 gallon kettle setup for brewing 10/12 gallon batches.

I've made a spreadsheet on Google sheets if you wanna keep up with the parts list / cost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PgY4AxLoka5on1cfKPgtxqW5LohVQy8mQoAXWAEokGQ/edit?usp=sharing

The brewery I'm building is "loosely" based off theelectricbrewery.com. At first I was gonna go all out with his directions. Then, I found a workaround. More on that later...

Anyway, I've been part / tool collecting. I wanna build a solid system that will last for years. I'm not cutting corners on this build.

HERMS coil from Brewhardware.com:

JL9zLz4h.jpg

The most expensive part of the control panel is the Omega / Eagle timer. Retail is $275, I snagged one off eBay used for $75.

Q1H0JYkh.jpg

I also got a free heat sink from work that came off of a broken power supply. It's about 10" and 4.5" wide.

F2BcpFUh.jpg

I've also ordered everything I need for the heating elements. Next thing is going to be buying the kettles and installing everything.

I still need to order a lot of hardware / fittings. I'm going to make sure I have everything I need before I buy the kettles.

Thanks for looking. I know I haven't done much, but that will change next week!

We stop in probably once or twice a year. One of my favorite cities in the country. The Beer, the food, the views! Get this knocked out before summer so I can come share some brews with ya!

We stop in probably once or twice a year. One of my favorite cities in the country. The Beer, the food, the views! Get this knocked out before summer so I can come share some brews with ya!

I'm really pushing forward on this build. I don't have a garage, so the brewery will be able to be broken down and put in my shed.

Either we can brew a batch together, or taste what I've made on hand. Or, just go out and drink some tasty beers!

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on the cost / part #'s. Yes, it can be done cheaper, but I wanna build a system I can keep for a VERY long time and not have to upgrade anything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PgY4AxLoka5on1cfKPgtxqW5LohVQy8mQoAXWAEokGQ/edit?usp=sharing

Kettles have been ordered today. I'm half way done! lol

I'm really pushing forward on this build. I don't have a garage, so the brewery will be able to be broken down and put in my shed.

Either we can brew a batch together, or taste what I've made on hand. Or, just go out and drink some tasty beers!

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on the cost / part #'s. Yes, it can be done cheaper, but I wanna build a system I can keep for a VERY long time and not have to upgrade anything.

Kettles have been ordered today. I'm half way done! lol

Love it. Yeah we will meet up somehow just cause I love meeting more homebrewers. I will be following for sure since I am currently building the same thing just very slowly.

Love it. Yeah we will meet up somehow just cause I love meeting more homebrewers. I will be following for sure since I am currently building the same thing just very slowly.

I like meeting people too! We will make it happen.

Heating elements done. Just showing one here and without the plug.

I have everything I need to assemble the kettles. I wish the kettles would hurry up and get here!

P9xGVIth.jpg

I'm STILL waiting on the kettles.

I ordered ss valves off Amazon, and they were junk. Real thin and not full port.

wEHmeEYh.jpg

VviAO3Lh.jpg

I ordered more at AIH and went ahead and ordered stainless inlet centered Chugger X-Dry pumps. I also ordered another whirlpool port. One I got to use as a whirlpool port on the boil kettle. The second will be the water inlet on the HLT

Last edited:
OK, HUGE update.

Look what came in the mail today!

ufQQHKuh.jpg

So shiny!

Z0stIGvh.jpg

Nothing like drilling holes in your brand new $400+ kettles.....

BRcdO5Bh.jpg

d6jqZdYh.jpg

vYT4nowh.jpg

Inside the HLT:

mjWCWYxh.jpg

Outside:

3yqAXTDh.jpg

Mash Tun:

SayGry1h.jpg

Boil Kettle:

DiIb0Csh.jpg

SXj9cyVh.jpg

Chugger pumps.

ewmokHjh.jpg

I still need to add 90's to the pumps. Order some more O-rings / washers for the kettles. Tee's are on the way. A few more parts I can't think of off the top of my head.

I used a whirlpool port for the water input on the HLT. I will also be adding another whirlpool port to the boil kettle just because.

pVVj3phh.jpg

More updates when they come in.

I finally made it home. Still working on the control panel. Trying to figure everything out. I'm using DIN components, and the diagrams I've looked at are crap.

7ojOekLh.jpg

Wort chiller is done:

O9ASn1Vh.jpg

Wine fridges for the FV's.

PqVaYLAh.jpg

I would post pics of everything else, but no one wants to see bags of brewing salts and misc stuff.

Once I get this control panel worked out, Ill post more. I'm REALLY ready to brew. Just gotta finish this panel, then I'm ready to go.

@225 It took me 5 years to amass all the random **** required to build my brewery and put it all together. You are close to the end! Props to you for building everything from parts. I farmed out the panel build because I get injured every time I do a big project and I didn't want to get shocked. Blood I can deal with. Just cut myself today, actually, while putting the finishing touches on a keezer.

Tell us about the build. Were there many tough decisions you had to make like where to put the mash temp sensor?

@225 It took me 5 years to amass all the random **** required to build my brewery and put it all together. You are close to the end! Props to you for building everything from parts. I farmed out the panel build because I get injured every time I do a big project and I didn't want to get shocked. Blood I can deal with. Just cut myself today, actually, while putting the finishing touches on a keezer.

Tell us about the build. Were there many tough decisions you had to make like where to put the mash temp sensor?

I put the mash temp sensor on the outlet valve, because I read that's the best place for it.

The toughest decisions have been on the control panel. Which contactors and internal parts to use. It's getting there..... The rest of the control panel parts will be in Tuesday. I'm hoping to finish everything up soon.

Looking real nice! Got my fridge wired up too. :rock:

Hells yea! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. They're purring on along.

Panel is "almost" done. Just gotta wire in the VOLT and AMPS meters.

My first brew day is probably 2 days away!

Yeast starter waiting patiently in the fridge for brew day....

Y5SPdvDh.jpg

Pumps are done!

SfYtYPth.jpg

First brew day in the books.

Had a couple hiccups with the control panel. My fault, but I will work out the bugs.

My extremely temp setup.

seS21BXh.jpg

Wort going in....

drDR8v5h.jpg

Too cold outside for the FV fridges, but the NEIPA is in fermentation!

2wGOe8Xh.jpg

Thanks!
I6nlizEh.jpg

NOqscHqh.jpg

These are gonna be some crispy bois!

You can see the jam nut on the inside. In a week, I'm going to put it in secondary, add gelatin, then keg it a few days after that. Put Co2 on it and let it crisp up for another 4 weeks.

I will have to try a sample lol

The Inkbird TC's are wired into the compressor and everything is running fine.

gR1m0FBh.jpg

Making holes in the panel:

7XzC6wBh.jpg

Working on fitting everything:

t7MGs6Jh.jpg

Still a ways to go:

AGaXeRVh.jpg

rNms6Y2h.jpg
dohp, been following. been wanting to visit ashville. this adds another reason.

I haven't brewed in a year. Getting back to it.

I brewed a Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout, and canned some for friends.

mpSXEBol.jpg

RLTHVRol.jpg

ImORjXCl.jpg

C9vN29hl.jpg

Back