220/Heater element ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
Ok, so i am gathering parts to try my hand at electric brewing. #1 want it to be safe. I got most of the wiring in my head but am unsure where the neutral (220 3 wire) goes at the heater element ? (5500) Is 3 wire ok of do i need to use 4 wire so I can ground the pot ? I have searched and read but just have not found this info.
Thanks
Jack

220 in the US is 2 out of phase HOT wires and a GROUND. The only time you would need Neutral is if you are pulling 120. Make sure that you have an electrician check your wiring before you plug ANYTHING in.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician!

For a 240V heater element you'd need 2 "phase" wires and a ground that's actually connected to GROUND. A GFCI is absolutely recommended, such as a $75-100 Spa (Sub)Panel.

Thanks did not know the 3rd wire in 220/240 was called a ground.
Jack

Hold up, this depends. Your 220/240v wiring could have four conductors:

red-hot
black-hot
white-neutral
bare/green-ground

or it could be old 3 conductor:

red-hot
black-hot
white-neutral

You have to follow the wiring diagram for the element and the junction box/panel that you are using. Maybe you already know this, but I just don't want you to make assumptions here.

Yes.......All the 220 @ my house is 3 wire.(Older) 4th wire is a true ground. Seems heater elements only have a spot for 2 wires.....just was not sure how the 3rd wire would work as a ground with a gfci breaker.....
Jack

Yes.......All the 220 @ my house is 3 wire.(Older) 4th wire is a true ground. Seems heater elements only have a spot for 2 wires.....just was not sure how the 3rd wire would work as a ground with a gfci breaker.....
Jack

GFCI doesn't need a ground path to operate, huge misconception people make. A GFCI doesn't measure ground current, it measures the differential of the hot current and neutral current.

So, you don't need a ground for your GFCI. Again, just follow the diagrams and if you need help, ask here (or a pro).

GFCI doesn't need a ground path to operate, huge misconception people make. A GFCI doesn't measure ground current, it measures the differential of the hot current and neutral current.

So, you don't need a ground for your GFCI. Again, just follow the diagrams and if you need help, ask here (or a pro).

Except in a 240V only circuit the GFCI measures the current difference between the two hot lines. In a 240V/120V circuit the GFCI measures the imbalance among the two hots and neutral (taking current flow direction into account, the three currents have to sum to zero, and direction changes 120 times/sec.)

Brew on :mug:

Back