2112 -- Great Stuff!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewZer

Work is the curse of the drinking class.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is just over 24 hours after pitching a .25 liter slurry started from a packet of 2112...
Bubbles.gif

Last edited:
Nice but you should have seen a batch I had late summer using slurry from Lutra. Exploded in less than 4 hours. Finished a 1.09+ in 2 days!

It really is an amazing yeast.

As a West Coast transplant on the East Coast, I make it a point to brew a batch of Anchor Steam clone for football season each year. It's a very pleasant strain to work with, it's eager to get to work, not fussy about temps, it clears up quickly and yields a very nice beer on a fast turnaround.

In years past, I goofed around with it in other styles; it makes a really stark Dry Irish Stout at 60F, in the mid-60s it really focuses the attention on the malt in a Mild, and it makes killer Scottish Ales.

This year, however, I've decided to quit goofing around with it and really put it through its paces. I've thrown a series of fizzy yellow beer grists at it while experimenting with ultra soft water profiles and it's producing remarkable fast turnaround (pseudo?) lagers at 60F. This strain destroys 34/70 at 60F. I'll likely push a couple more fizzy yellow grists past this pitch, then maybe a dark US grist, and finish it off with a Baltic Porter. I'm geeked about that Baltic Porter.

I treated 2112 as a one-trick pony for years. That was dumb.

Well, this is the second time I've used it. My first brew was an amber american ale, designed with 6.6 lbs of amber LME, 3 lbs of agave nectar, and a half-pound of munich malt for mouthfeel and flavor. Sadly, one of my LME cans was spoiled, so I wound up using 6 lbs of agave nectar with the munich and 3.3 lbs of amber LME. 2112 cautiously sniffed about, starting kind of slowly, but by day 3 jumped right in and churned through it anyway. Looking at my notes, the 1.060 OG finished at 1.006. It was a bit cidery with all that agave nectar in it, but it was tasty and drinkable.

This time, I hooked it up with a 1 liter starter for 24 hours before crashing and decanting most of the soup. Got about 2" of kreusen in the flask, which pushed me into buying a 2 liter flask for next time. Pitched it at 63 into a 65 degree fermenter... and I had good foam at 4 hours in, with vigorous bubbling by 12 hours. 12 hours later (when I took the video) it was still roaring.

Now, on day 5, it has clearly spent itself in the wort, which was basically 9 lbs of light LME and 2 lbs of steeped carapils. Color remains light(er than usual) and smells are delicious, basically German boiling hops with a touch of cluster at 30 mins, and Saaz for aroma at the end.

I'm looking forward to a short but happy relationship once it's in the bottles end of next week.

We've taken care of everything
The beer you brew
The beer you drink
The foam that gives pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We brew together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why
We are the priests,
Of the Temples,
of Beerdrinx,
Our great fermenters
Fill our man-cave halls,

We are the priests,
Of the Temples
of Beerdrinx
All the gifts of Yeast,
Are held within our walls

It really is an amazing yeast.

As a West Coast transplant on the East Coast, I make it a point to brew a batch of Anchor Steam clone for football season each year. It's a very pleasant strain to work with, it's eager to get to work, not fussy about temps, it clears up quickly and yields a very nice beer on a fast turnaround.

In years past, I goofed around with it in other styles; it makes a really stark Dry Irish Stout at 60F, in the mid-60s it really focuses the attention on the malt in a Mild, and it makes killer Scottish Ales.

This year, however, I've decided to quit goofing around with it and really put it through its paces. I've thrown a series of fizzy yellow beer grists at it while experimenting with ultra soft water profiles and it's producing remarkable fast turnaround (pseudo?) lagers at 60F. This strain destroys 34/70 at 60F. I'll likely push a couple more fizzy yellow grists past this pitch, then maybe a dark US grist, and finish it off with a Baltic Porter. I'm geeked about that Baltic Porter.

I treated 2112 as a one-trick pony for years. That was dumb.
Never used this yeast. Would it be suitable for a Duesseldorf Alt?

Never used this yeast. Would it be suitable for a Duesseldorf Alt?

Honestly, I can't say with any certainty. I don't know Alt very well and have little experience with the style and the strains used to make it. Is Alt like Kolsch, where you don't just want a clean yeast, you want it to also provide certain characteristics? If so, 2112 might not be a good choice. It certainly isn't going to do the white wine thing that folks talk about with Kolsch. I can't say that I understand that either, but I'll trust that it's important. On the plus side, 2112 will drop clear before you grow old and die. I'm looking at you Kolsch strain.

Back