20lb co2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I am putting together my keezer and in the process of finding a co2 tank. I was originally going to buy a 10lb tank but I found a guy on craigslist selling 3 20lb tanks @ $25/ea. Is 20lb overkill? Is there such a thing as overkill at that price?

I am assuming that a 20lb tank is roughly the same size as a courney. If that is the case, I don't mind sacrificing a keg spot for a 20lb tank (I am going to get a freezer that can fit 6 - 8 courneys).

Also, the description is very scant...no verbiage about condition or pressure testing. What questions should I ask?

TIA,

John

They have to be recertified after 5 years I think. That will run you about $15.

Other than space, there isn't a reason not to go with the 20 pounder. I have 2. $12 to refill and they seem to last forever.

You can also leave the tank outside your keezer and just run the line in for your cornies.

Bull

Thanks bull.

After a second glance, I suspect that the tanks are steel so I would most likely leave it outside the keezer for rust reasons.

Thanks for the info!

John

For $25, I'd buy at least two of them and probably all three. Good to have a backup - 20# will last you a long time, but it still sucks when the tank does finally blow. The third, you could re-sell (or use in a trade) for probably closer to $50. If it's in good enough shape where it can be swapped out, it's worth at least twice what he's asking.

See if he'll sell you the lot for $60, cash.

The third, you could re-sell (or use in a trade) for probably closer to $50. If it's in good enough shape where it can be swapped out, it's worth at least twice what he's asking.

Yeah, clean it up, maybe a coat of paint, get it filled, inspected if needed....you could sell one and probably cover the cost of all three.

Had a 10lb, but last time I went to swap they didn't have any 10's so they gave me a 20. Couldn't be happier. The thing won't die.

Good find! Go for it.

$25 is a great deal, and 20# is definitely not overkill, (I have a 10 and 15 and wish I had a 20).

I never worry about hydrotesting, as I exchange my tanks, not refill them, (it's cheaper and the guy is close to me). Most companies don't care about hydrotesting on a tank you are exchanging.

About the stolen bit, if it has stickers on it for some company, you might want to make sure you can get them off, (or paint over them). Most people won't refill or exchange a tank that belongs to someone else.

$25 is a great deal, and 20# is definitely not overkill, (I have a 10 and 15 and wish I had a 20).

I never worry about hydrotesting, as I exchange my tanks, not refill them, (it's cheaper and the guy is close to me). Most companies don't care about hydrotesting on a tank you are exchanging.

That is because you are exchanging. Try exchanging one that is five years older than the last test date embossed around the collar. If the date of manufacture or last test date does not equate to being 5 years old then you are good. If not, you will be hit with a test fee weather you exchange or refill that one. By law they can not refill a tank over 5 years old unless it is retested and stamped accordingly.

That is because you are exchanging. Try exchanging one that is five years older than the last test date embossed around the collar. If the date of manufacture or last test date does not equate to being 5 years old then you are good. If not, you will be hit with a test fee weather you exchange or refill that one. By law they can not refill a tank over 5 years old unless it is retested and stamped accordingly.

The last one I exchanged was a 15# tank I got out of my buddy's basement. The hydrotest date was 1974, I think, (something around there). I pointed it out to the guy when I exchanged it, asking if it was the oldest he'd gotten. He said, "not even close", and traded the tank with no extra hydro fee. *shrug* Maybe it's just the place I take it to, but it's part of a chain company, not just a mom-and-pop type place.

Yeah, I just exchanges a tank that had a date of "1992" on it (it was well beyond the five year limit). Brought it to Airgas. Didn't even look before they exchanged it, they don't care.

Just called the beer distributor down the street from where I work and asked if they swap CO2 tanks. He said Yes. I asked if it is a problem that the tank is past its date. He said no. Asked if they had 20lb tanks. He said yes. :)

I'm back Jerry!

Back