20g Spike Kettle for 6g batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintabone

Reaction score
So I've read through a bunch of the other threads on this topic but want to get some additional thoughts if possible. I'm considering buying a 20g Spike boil kettle. I typically do 6g batches into the fermenter which require a bit over 8g boils. I wouldn't mind having the ability to do a 10-12g batch on occasion without worrying significantly about boil over in a 15g kettle. I also like the idea of using TC ports rather than threaded because I'm tired of dealing with the thread tape.

Anyway, the only concerns i've seen mentioned at this point are increase boil off potentially. Anything else to be concerned with? It will have 3 TC ports around the 2" mark. One for a thermowell (potential electric element in the future), one of the main drain valve and one for a whirlpool arm.

Appreciate the thoughts.

If you do BIAB it can be harder to hold mash Temps

To clarify I don't BIAB. Use a cooler for a mash tun and have a separate cooler for a HLT. So three vessel one pump system. Propane fired boil kettle used to heat strike water and then subsequently heat the sparge water.

I use a 10g blichmann for 6g batches 8g preboil. I have a 20g spike I use for 12 gallon batches. I hated using the 20g for 6g batches because it was a pita to move about and clean. it was also a pain for group brews.

I would get a 15g and just deal with watching the pot closely and use some fermcap s on the occasional 12g batch.

Edit: beat me to it

Another thing to consider is depending on what type of chiller you have you will have less liquid in contact with the coils. I use a 15 gallon pot to do 5 gallon BIAB batches, I don't think I'd go any bigger.

Thanks guys, I'm currently using a 15g Bayou classic right now so the 20g isn't that much bigger. I'm not worried about size from cleaning and I use a pump so it won't be moved around during the brew day. Just trying to make sure there isn't anything significant that I'm missing.

not sure what exact future plans you have for the element.
but if you’re adding a port for the thermowell, you might as well add one for the element too.

also, plan out your whirlpool arm for the tc port before you commit. Spike doesn’t offer a tangental port or a whirlpool arm for a TC port.

Another option for you to look at and price out is the Ss brewtech BME. No customizing on that one straight from Ss though; it is what it is.

So I've read through a bunch of the other threads on this topic but want to get some additional thoughts if possible. I'm considering buying a 20g Spike boil kettle. I typically do 6g batches into the fermenter which require a bit over 8g boils. I wouldn't mind having the ability to do a 10-12g batch on occasion without worrying significantly about boil over in a 15g kettle. I also like the idea of using TC ports rather than threaded because I'm tired of dealing with the thread tape.

Anyway, the only concerns i've seen mentioned at this point are increase boil off potentially. Anything else to be concerned with? It will have 3 TC ports around the 2" mark. One for a thermowell (potential electric element in the future), one of the main drain valve and one for a whirlpool arm.

Appreciate the thoughts.

You won't have any issues and boil-off rates are not a big deal. My 15g and 20g have very similar rates anyway. I do 6 gal batches in my 20g pot all the time. The one and only issue for me was that my element was put in a little high (because I had a huge screen below it), so it required a min of 6 gal to keep the element covered.

If you are using direct fire, there are zero issues. If you are going to use an electric element, just make sure that it will be submerged at your min batch size level.

Thanks all for the comments. I went with the 20g kettle. Spike had a custom kettle in their bargain bin so I was able to get a 20g kettle with 3 TC ports for less than the same 15g kettle would have cost. Two are at 2" and the whirlpool port will be at 4" which is at about 4.5 gallons.

Back