2024 NHC Philly Regional

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there do any judging at the Philly regional? If so, do you know if they didn't finish all tables? First two regions results were posted within a week, we are now 9 days post Philly judging date without one word on it. AHA has not changed their site to "verifying results", which makes me think they did not finish judging, but then again, is the AHA even changing the regional status any more? Would just be nice for some communication to those who entered. How hard is a simple "hey we have two tables left to judge and we will be doing that the weekend of June 8th" or something like that.

Meanwhile those in Indy and KC already have their results and are off and rebrewing for finals.

I know NYC wasn't able to finish over the weekend - no idea on Philly.

Got to say I'm not a fan on the amount of time between results from the various regions. I completely understand that the logistics of all regions judging the same weekend are not workable, but it isn't exactly a level playing field when some entrants have this much more time. I've already gone ahead and brewed one of my entries just in case so it will be fresh for round two, but this takes away any advantage of round one feedback.

Last year San Diego sat on verifying results for quite a while longer than the others. I’m pretty sure they finished in one weekend.

Got to say I'm not a fan on the amount of time between results from the various regions. I completely understand that the logistics of all regions judging the same weekend are not workable, but it isn't exactly a level playing field when some entrants have this much more time. I've already gone ahead and brewed one of my entries just in case so it will be fresh for round two, but this takes away any advantage of round one feedback.
I am not sure what they have done in years past (last year was my first time entering in a long time). Last year everybody had the same shipping window, which meant that at some locations the beers had to sit for 4-6 weeks before the judging. They then released all the results for the first round at the same time. This seemed more "fair" for people that might want to rebrew for the second round, but also meant that others had to wait over a month after judging to get their results. This year you have some locations getting results back, while entries for other 1st round locations are still being brewed.

San Diego spun out results fast. I like the new system. You can chose to enter a site that judges early to get your results earlier or if you need time you can pick a late entry site to have time to brew or let beers mature. Cant balance everything so ship your beers wherever to match your timeline. No perfect system.

Latest posts

Back