2021 Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you brewed with Cashmere before? I’m brewing a 2.5 gal cashmere smash in the next week or so. Curious your impressions.

If I like it, I may plant one this spring.

Have you brewed with Cashmere before? I’m brewing a 2.5 gal cashmere smash in the next week or so. Curious your impressions.

I have not, and this will be my first time growing hops. I’ve been a backyard gardner longer than I’ve been brewing so I figured I would try to diversify what I’m planting for some variety.

More like re-planting but - year two for Comet and Cascade! First few shoots are starting. Have 3 of each!

Cascade
20210301_094556.jpg

Comet
20210301_094543.jpg

Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, Willamette and Perle. First time hops gardener long time produce gardener, cannot wait to see how they like my local climate.

I've done a 5gal Cashmere smash and liked it very much. Let it condition for a couple weeks and the hop flavor will smooth out. Good with a twist of lemon!

Just pre-ordered a couple Brewer's Gold rhizomes and plan on grabbing a rhizome cutting from a buddy's Cascade that he's had going for 5 years or so once it gets a bit warmer.

Not planting anything new but looking forward to giving my 6 Cascade plants a full year of growth this year. Last year I had to fix the drainage in my planter beds and didn't get the hops planted until early summer. Still got some growth but I think this year will be a good haul.

Not planting anything new but looking forward to giving my 6 Cascade plants a full year of growth this year. Last year I had to fix the drainage in my planter beds and didn't get the hops planted until early summer. Still got some growth but I think this year will be a good haul.

6 cascades?! Whew, that’s a lot of one variety. Do you own a microbrewery?

6 cascades?! Whew, that’s a lot of one variety. Do you own a microbrewery?
No, just a big fan of Cascade, haha. But I do work part time for a 3 BBL brewery so if it's too much, maybe I can pawn some off to them and convince me to let me brew something up with them.

Can’t argue with that! I love my cascade plant. If they produce well, you could easily end up with 12-18 lbs of cascade. You will certainly be able to hook up them up.

Been curious about cashmere! May plant a couple next year. I just planted two apple tree and ordered 16 grapevines from double a vineyards. I think I’ve got my hands full this year:ghostly:

I had to transplant my 5 plants last year now that I have a dog. I think I lost my Cascade and comet, but see shoots for the cashmere, glacier and Tahoma coming up now. Will be getting a new Cascade and hopefully a Zeus.

i have 3rd yr sorachi ace, fuggle, and cascade i hope will finally do something this yr.
last yr i had to move them in the spring so i got very little hops.
the first yr they struggled.

First year Brewers Gold and Cascade doing pretty well
7160D4EF-88F1-4414-BA0D-A274F8BE6851.jpeg
60439301-0145-474A-B76B-703BB3E7C548.jpeg

The Brewers Gold has a few leaves that look a little crispy on the tips. Not all leaves and not too worried about it, but anyone have any ideas?

D44A09A6-28BD-4BE2-9F16-121111419F4E.jpeg
0BDCBA9B-AF25-4997-90E2-3D4A64AFAFAA.jpeg

How’s everyone’s new plants going?

I never followed up on this thread. The new plants I ended up planting are Triple Perle, Prussian, Multihead and Golding. The Golding was a freebie that GLH threw in with my order. Ended up having to rip a Juniper out of the ground to make room; not a task for the weak armed!

Here is the plant progress so far:

Triple Perle has taken off, really strong.
38142A21-676B-47C8-8B4B-1EDAC29603C8.jpeg

Prussian is also doing pretty well, it doesn’t get quite as much sunlight as other plants. This plant replaced Arcadian.
CAA232D9-828F-423E-83CD-997DF23EEE85.jpeg

The Goldings plant is also starting to really take off.
3B9C227B-156F-4E04-A625-D25B57E5E029.jpeg

Multihead has been struggling a bit, but not totally lost. This is my second year attempting to grow Multihead in a new location. The one from last year took off strong but did not overwinter.
718ED2EF-69D6-405A-9049-EA9C978A0BA6.jpeg

Here are my three mature, 3rd year plants:
Cascade is a monster should be a solid harvest this year.
3368E04E-E218-4CE8-A922-74774EDA22A1.jpeg
8225FAF8-71D1-4798-8332-7A36A0BD5D09.jpeg

Alpharoma topped out at 20 feet and kept going. Throwing side arms now.
ABE3F236-8D83-4387-A1BA-AE12D5DBCD0E.jpeg

And finally Hartwick next to Goldings. Hoping I can keep these two separated in a couple years…
8169C430-F4D8-4492-B123-C910A6D696C5.jpeg

Last edited:
First year Brewers Gold and Cascade doing pretty well
View attachment 733426View attachment 733427

The Brewers Gold has a few leaves that look a little crispy on the tips. Not all leaves and not too worried about it, but anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 733429View attachment 733430
Looks like symptoms of too much water or insufficient drainage. Do a self perk test to determine if your soil contains too much clay. Simply pour a bucket of water on the ground and watch what it does. If it soaks into the ground fairly quickly your drainage is probably ok. But if it runs off or just sits there without soaking in you probably need to break up the soul, add peat moss and mix it in well. You don't have to dig up your plants but work the soil as close as you can without affecting the root base. I also would mix in some black cow manure when adding peat.

If it's from too much rain there's not much you can do except increase drainage as described above.

Good luck and hoppy gardening.

Back