2021 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, interesting!

One positive thing from the pandemic: For awhile now I've had an allergic reaction to the dust that gets kicked out when milling barley. My original solution was to make my girlfriend mill it for me and dump it in my brew bag, but the pandemic has since introduced me to the wonders of KN95 masks. Throw one of those on, fire up the grain mill, and I'm good to go!
Exactly man. I'm glad you ran across that positive note! I do the same thing just because it makes me sneeze eventually. I'm not allergic, but it's not fun.

Just received notice that I have a box on my front porch. I will unbox when I get home from work. Good news is with the current weather, I shouldn't have to wait long to enjoy!
Screenshot_20220203-101545.png

As the guy who has been caught by each of the big three, I will provide you with some anecdotal information. All of these instances were while shipping on my online print-at-home account, for reference.

USPS - I will always ship with USPS. When I was caught, we had a phone call about the situation, and they sent me a form saying how it's federally illegal to ship alcohol blah blah blah. That "fill in the blank" form was filled out with a pencil. They ship coast to coast the fastest while only being slightly more expensive than UPS.

UPS - They're slow but UPS Ground is cheaper, usually, than USPS. When they caught me they just told me not to do it again, and I also got a letter in the mail. There letter was more formal that the Federal government's. I have shipped with them again, after they caught me, without issue. My account is in good standing.

FEDEX - They're on par with UPS in regards to pricing, but if/when you get caught, kiss your account goodbye. They'll also flag your ass in the system, so any time that you try to ship anything that makes a sound, they'll tell you that they're opening the box to inspect before shipping. I don't waste my time there any more.

Great info, thanks for sharing. Of the 3, a FedEx office is closest to me and they're typically the least busy but they've also been the most expensive so I haven't bothered. You've given even more reason to stay away.

USPS always has a damn line whenever I've shipped anything with them, so I try and avoid the post office as much as I can.

I've used UPS for the only FoTDs that I've participated in so far, only because I decided that creating an account, printing the label, etc., would be a time saver and avoid some level of scrutiny from the clerk when they ask "What is in the box?" when I've shipped stuff to a friend in Texas. I've panicked all 3 times and the responses were "Uh..toys?" "Uh..cleaning supplies?" "Uh..crafts and..uh..stuff to make slime. Friend's kid's birthday present." That last one, I was thinking "Dude..shut up already..."

Great info, thanks for sharing. Of the 3, a FedEx office is closest to me and they're typically the least busy but they've also been the most expensive so I haven't bothered. You've given even more reason to stay away.

USPS always has a damn line whenever I've shipped anything with them, so I try and avoid the post office as much as I can.

I've used UPS for the only FoTDs that I've participated in so far, only because I decided that creating an account, printing the label, etc., would be a time saver and avoid some level of scrutiny from the clerk when they ask "What is in the box?" when I've shipped stuff to a friend in Texas. I've panicked all 3 times and the responses were "Uh..toys?" "Uh..cleaning supplies?" "Uh..crafts and..uh..stuff to make slime. Friend's kid's birthday present." That last one, I was thinking "Dude..shut up already..."
Yeah I just do the front door pickup with USPS so there aren't any questions and it's free!!

Yeah I just do the front door pickup with USPS so there aren't any questions and it's free!!

As noted above, I think the majority of us have online accounts with all these shipping companies. You print the label at home, attach to the box, and either drop off or schedule the pick up.

I didn't realize that USPS picks up for free...where do I select that option? When I drop off my boxes, I just walk to an empty window and set the boxes down, walk away, done without questions.

As noted above, I think the majority of us have online accounts with all these shipping companies. You print the label at home, attach to the box, and either drop off or schedule the pick up.

I didn't realize that USPS picks up for free...where do I select that option? When I drop off my boxes, I just walk to an empty window and set the boxes down, walk away, done without questions.
When using the app you just click schedule a pickup!!

Screenshot_20220203-170749.png

Santa showed up today with 2 boxes..and great freezing icicles man..I think they brought some of that North Pole weather w/them too. My hands were kinda hurting after I had unwrapped everything.....the cans were so dang cold so I took the laser temp gun to a can and it read 49 degrees! And it was in the 70s if you were in the sun today so....

Awesome, awesome...as I've never had any of these beers. I've never had any beer from Bell's now that I think of it....😱

and I know (or at least I think I know) that I asked to not get any extra swag, but this tulip may just be my new favorite glass as I don't have one of this size, nor of this quality and I haven't even used it yet!! I have one from The Bruery that I feel if I squeeze too hard for some reason, it might collapse.

IMG_6326.jpeg

and I might just re-use that label that was taped to the box. 🤪

And..there was a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the 2nd box that had the glasses in it!

IMG_6327.jpeg

and..since my SS had the brilliant idea of having the Bell's stuff shipped direct, it gave me the brilliant idea to do the same. I've been watching this thread thinking...I need to get that extra stuff I should have included in my shipment out. But...that means I need to goto the store...and I've been able to talk myself out of going anywhere these days.

Ha..I can have them ship direct..brilliant! @3 Dawg Night you should have something arriving by sometime next week?

and..just to make it 4 times in the same post. Brilliant!!!

Santa showed up today with 2 boxes..and great freezing icicles man..I think they brought some of that North Pole weather w/them too. My hands were kinda hurting after I had unwrapped everything.....the cans were so dang cold so I took the laser temp gun to a can and it read 49 degrees! And it was in the 70s if you were in the sun today so....

Awesome, awesome...as I've never had any of these beers. I've never had any beer from Bell's now that I think of it....😱

and I know (or at least I think I know) that I asked to not get any extra swag, but this tulip may just be my new favorite glass as I don't have one of this size, nor of this quality and I haven't even used it yet!! I have one from The Bruery that I feel if I squeeze too hard for some reason, it might collapse.

View attachment 758125

and I might just re-use that label that was taped to the box. 🤪

And..there was a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the 2nd box that had the glasses in it!

View attachment 758127

and..since my SS had the brilliant idea of having the Bell's stuff shipped direct, it gave me the brilliant idea to do the same. I've been watching this thread thinking...I need to get that extra stuff I should have included in my shipment out. But...that means I need to goto the store...and I've been able to talk myself out of going anywhere these days.

Ha..I can have them ship direct..brilliant! @3 Dawg Night you should have something arriving by sometime next week?

and..just to make it 4 times in the same post. Brilliant!!!
HMMmM. Something suspicious about that label…

So I pretty much blew this round, but I’m definitely enjoying/enjoyed my package that arrived. Not sure who this is from, but enjoying it nonetheless. The stickers were alreasy affixed to my beer fridge and turntable cover prior to remembering about a pic, so there’s that too. Oh, and I went shopping today for half my package and will finish tomorrow, so hopefully I’m not the last one out. I’m sure I am though. Ah well.

Thanks, Santa!

E1CF3470-9231-456E-B217-94B017A1E8C2.jpeg

Awesome. Looks like I'm getting something from santa possibly. Got a UPS shipment on the way and we haven't ordered anything! 🍺😍

Santa brought my beer a couple of weeks ago, but there was no non-beer gift inside. No big deal; I wasn't worried about it, since they were some fantastic beers. Well, Santa made another circle over my house and dropped these off the other day. The little wooden puck is a magnetic bottle opener, and I didn't own a snifter before today. Now to brew something worthy of my new drinkware. I foresee a barleywine in my future!

PXL_20220212_011409236.jpg

View attachment 756360View attachment 756361
Santa just delivered!! I’m guessing this is @TallDan’s doing given the “recycling box”. Haha
You nailed it!! Thank you!! Even a bottle of Dark Lord (on my white whale wish list) and a homebrew too!! If it was someone else, well you nailed it!!
I’m definitely wearing the t-shirt tomorrow!! Now, do I drink this Dark Lord soon or do I age it for a bit? 🤔
Update - Just found a 3 Floyd’s sticker in the bag too!! Woohoo!!
I've found Dark Lord ages very well unless you already tried it :) I'm a big fan of Phase Three as well.

Santa brought my beer a couple of weeks ago, but there was no non-beer gift inside. No big deal; I wasn't worried about it, since they were some fantastic beers. Well, Santa made another circle over my house and dropped these off the other day. The little wooden puck is a magnetic bottle opener, and I didn't own a snifter before today. Now to brew something worthy of my new drinkware. I foresee a barleywine in my future!

View attachment 759248
Hey! I shop there too!

Back