2021 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying the first of my beers from @Knightshade tonight, a boozy but balanced Imperial Red. Good stuff!

PXL_20220120_031737920.jpg

I'm now second guessing myself on if i mixed up the box I sent out for this and the one I sent to @gromitdj for winning fantasy football. I sent the same beer to both, but the FF box didn't get a non-beer item. So, if my recipient, after digging through all of the bubble wrap and packing fluff, can't find the non-beer item, let me know and I'll make it right.

F15AABE9-960C-489F-834A-423659DBFD7B.jpeg
B152B2FF-CC7E-4814-A158-F7B8958E02F1.jpeg

Santa just delivered!! I’m guessing this is @TallDan’s doing given the “recycling box”. Haha
You nailed it!! Thank you!! Even a bottle of Dark Lord (on my white whale wish list) and a homebrew too!! If it was someone else, well you nailed it!!
I’m definitely wearing the t-shirt tomorrow!! Now, do I drink this Dark Lord soon or do I age it for a bit? 🤔
Update - Just found a 3 Floyd’s sticker in the bag too!! Woohoo!!

I'm now second guessing myself on if i mixed up the box I sent out for this and the one I sent to @gromitdj for winning fantasy football. I sent the same beer to both, but the FF box didn't get a non-beer item. So, if my recipient, after digging through all of the bubble wrap and packing fluff, can't find the non-beer item, let me know and I'll make it right.

If it's the exact same package, I can just forward the non-beer item to the appropriate person. EZ-PZ..

Pretty sure I'm going to be done on my Santa beers before some of you get your shipped out, bwahahahahaha. If I do that, does it mean I get a refill?
View attachment 756422
Yea that me. This Santa has been ummm…lazy. Getting close but my recipient shouldn’t worry, interest IS being accrued!

@3 Dawg Night Stoked you're liking the beers so far! Alesmith does a variety of Red ales, all of which seem to be seasonal. I was kinda floored when I tried that Yulesmith so it was an automatic inclusion, and I've typically got some form of Societe IPA in my fridge. Easily my current go to.

I just realized that while the more important of the two boxes I shipped my Giftee made it there, the other box doesn't appear to have. Oh well - time to go shopping. ;)

Received this afternoon! Packing job is basically the exact opposite of mine, hard to believe all of this fit in the box I took it out of!

View attachment 756489
Enjoy! I'm curious what you think of the barleywine. I'm not a fan of the style but I saw you like them and I've heard good things about that particular one. Cheers!

The fam is wrapping up with the last of the Rona. I’m last of 5 actually. Started to feel better this week and am out of quarantine so hopefully will go shopping. Sorry to my giftee for the delay. Two and a half weeks feels like months.
Glad to hear you and the family are feeling better.

Came home to my Secret Santa package! Thank you! Although, I don’t recognize the name.

The PBRs were fillers for the two beers from ByGeorge(the glassware/stickers) that didn’t survive. They got left in my truck and froze/popped :( and wasn’t able to make it back. They were a couple lagers so i figured that was a good replacement ;)

The PBRs were fillers for the two beers from ByGeorge(the glassware/stickers) that didn’t survive. They got left in my truck and froze/popped :( and wasn’t able to make it back. They were a couple lagers so i figured that was a good replacement ;)

Great package! Lots of breweries I haven’t tried before. Love it!

Isn’t USPS a no-no for shipping beer?

I use them exclusively. I definitely don’t tell them there is beer inside but if I can’t totally hide the sound of liquid sloshing I call it homemade hot sauce or olive oil.

I use them exclusively. I definitely don’t tell them there is beer inside but if I can’t totally hide the sound of liquid sloshing I call it homemade hot sauce or olive oil.
Yeah it can be done. I use pennies within the package to be safe. Their flat rate boxes is an economical way to ship. UPS seem to be the sticklers for me. FedEx doesn't care at all but are typically more expensive.

Yeah it can be done. I use pennies within the package to be safe. Their flat rate boxes is an economical way to ship. UPS seem to be the sticklers for me. FedEx doesn't care at all but are typically more expensive.
I have shipped UPS and FedEx. No problems with either, and I never really do anything to mask the sound either.

I know a lot of people do it, but noisemakers are nonsense to me. On the rare occasion that anyone asks me about the packages I'm shipping, I'll say it's yeast samples or hot sauce. I always show up with the package labeled and ready to go though, and there just isn't a good reason for them to ask or care what's in the package.

I'd rather break UPS and FedEx's rules about shipping alcohol than break the law by shipping USPS. From a quick search, those laws haven't changed.

I know a lot of people do it, but noisemakers are nonsense to me. On the rare occasion that anyone asks me about the packages I'm shipping, I'll say it's yeast samples or hot sauce. I always show up with the package labeled and ready to go though, and there just isn't a good reason for them to ask or care what's in the package.

I'd rather break UPS and FedEx's rules about shipping alcohol than break the law by shipping USPS. From a quick search, those laws haven't changed.
Drop off at a retail location like CVS (UPS) or Walgreens (FedEx). Those folks definitely don't care what's in it.

I try to ship USPS because it's so much faster. It's also cheaper for smaller packages. I always used it for the 12 Beers of Christmas. From all accounts on here, if you get caught you just get a nice letter from some guy (Doug, I believe) saying not to do it again.

The noise makers are just cheap insurance. Helps me sleep at night when sending $75 dollars of beer or a $400 dollar bottle of bourbon 1/2 way across the country.

When using FedEx, I package it up, print and slap the label on it, and drop it off at a FedEx location. When they ask if I need a receipt, I decline and quickly leave. They've never asked me anything else.

Last edited:
Back