2021 Big Brew Day! What are your traditions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Vern

Sacred Crow Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who has big plans for the first Saturday in May? I'm expecting a couple friends to swing by, maybe 3-4 people this year keeping it relatively low-key.

I have a soft spot for important dates, my 1st brew day was May 7th, 2019.

this years plan:
- Warm up brew = 5 Gallons Janet's Brown BIAB in honor of Tasty.
- Big Brew = 18 Gallons "Shaky Hips" IPA, maiden brew on a 1/2 barrel system donated to me. Donor's recipe with 1# of citra.
- from the smoker: Breakfast fatty & brats/sausages for lunch. maybe some jalapeno bites if I feel saucy.

I am already excited.. Party on!

My club used to do Big Brew Day at our LHBS every year, but then the shop moved to a new location without outside water supply, so we have not done it for last 3 years or so. But this year, one of our members is the head brewer at a local brewery and the Brewery has invited us to brew in their parking lot for Big Brew. They will supply us with hot water from the HL. I brew on an electric system, so will be going just to hang out/help/drink this year. Lunch will be available in the tap room, and I am guessing the brewer will pull out a few beers to share with us.

I live close to AIH and they have done similar things in the past, I missed out. Now one of their brick & mortar locations are shuttered and they are pushing online sales pretty hard. Friggin covid.

Sounds like a lot of fun, especially if you're not hauling your brew gear around town! Cheers!

I traditionally have not participated in Big Brew Day, but you make it sound like a lot of fun! I just wish I had more brewing friends nearby that would do this kind of stuff. My homebrew club typically does it, but most people live too far away for me to want to travel, drink, then drive back. I brew inside, so it wouldn't be very much fun to do that with friends over. But...might could....

I've never done one either. The thought of having to haul all my stuff somewhere keeps me from doing it. It was bad enough when I brewed in the garage. Now that I'm doing electric in the basement, it even holds less appeal although I still have all my propane equipment.

I was never even aware of BBB until last year but decided to at least participate in my own fashion this year. My usual LHBS doesn't even have the hops for the Star Gazer IPA, so I had to visit one a little more inconvenient to get to. I'm planning on brewing it tomorrow since I've already got stuff going on 5/1.

Back