2015 Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed-Wort

The Tao of Yeast
Reaction score
Should I make adjustments to AA for older hops? I just got a great deal on Magnum hops from Hopsdirect but they are from 2015 (only $5.00 per pound). I plan on only using them for bittering in the boil and wonder if I should adjust amounts for lower AA or if that is not advised.

Did you just get them, or did you get them a year ago? If you just bought them, they should be marked with the current AA levels. (they already adjusted it for you)

I just got them. You think that they would readjust the levels? I thought that they would do that at picking or packaging.

Call 'em and see. I bet whatever is marked in the bag is right, or darn close.

I'm using hops that I bought several years ago. Stored in the original packaging (opened, and then closed back up but not sealed) in a ziplock freezer bag in my deep freezer. I always back-off the AA numbers a bit because of the age, and quite often I get my beers a little too bitter because the hops aren't as deteriorated as I thought. They still smell good too, I'm boiling some right now.

I'm sure HD stored their hops a lot better than I do.

Edit: the website says AA 12.8. Is that what the bags are marked, or are they marked something 14-ish?

I just assume degradation and throw in 10-25% extra depending on the age. But I vacuum seal all my hops and keep them frozen. As soon as they have been weighed I reseal them with the vacuum sealer.

Latest posts

Back