2015 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Definitely jealous of you folks in warmer climes...finally had all our snow melt this week.

As far as transplanting goes: if you can keep the root ball intact and get them in the ground soon before they kick it into high gear, I would wager that transplant shock would be minimal due to the sheer size of those containers! Good luck!

Nice! Definitely jealous of you folks in warmer climes...finally had all our snow melt this week.

As far as transplanting goes: if you can keep the root ball intact and get them in the ground soon before they kick it into high gear, I would wager that transplant shock would be minimal due to the sheer size of those containers! Good luck!

Thanks! This is the first transplant, they really need new soil.

The old containers hold 20 gallons and the new ones (much nicer looking) should be roughly the same size.

Hmmph, my hops are still under a couple feet of snow.
I'm hoping they made it OK - we moved last fall, had to dig them out of the old place, and didn't get them back in the ground here as quickly as I wanted to.
had 2, 3rd year Newport and 2 1st year Cascade transplanting.

Third years are going great already, according to my almanac from last year, about two weeks ahead.

20150317_171622-picsay.jpg

20150317_171627-picsay.jpg

And since all I had to do was watch my hops start to take off, the GF got an expanded garden last weekend. Sigh. That was hard work, I was sore for days.

20150315_161732-picsay.jpg

Hmmph, my hops are still under a couple feet of snow.
I'm hoping they made it OK - we moved last fall, had to dig them out of the old place, and didn't get them back in the ground here as quickly as I wanted to.
had 2, 3rd year Newport and 2 1st year Cascade transplanting.

It's okay, the snow is insulating it! ;)

My hops in their containers have frozen to a solid ice block and still poked their little heads through again in the Spring. They'll be fine :mug:

My hops in their containers have frozen to a solid ice block and still poked their little heads through again in the Spring. They'll be fine :mug:

Same experience here. I had 3 first year's in 15L pots and they froze completely solid from December through March. As soon as they thawed out, the purple sprouts exploded out in force.

I have 4 in the ground now, all second years with the exception of Nugget now in year 4, and all of our snow has finally all melted. I have some small buds on all my crowns, and I'm sure I have more that are still waiting until the temperatures stabilize a little warmer.

thanks for the reassurance...
I'm not as worried about the winter itself, but about their being out of ground for longer than I wanted (stress of moving and didn't get them replanted for a few weeks. (I did try to keep them moist, though...)

First fertilizer of season just put down tonight. Bone meal for phosphorous and blood meal for nitrogen. That organic stuff is stinky! Here's to a good season for everyone!

Fellow Reno grower here with four first year cascade rhizomes. I out two in the ground and two in pots about 6" deep in January. I've just started seeing the two in pots come out of the ground and one in the ground is just breaking ground and one yet to come up. I found another grower down in South Reno with about 8 plants in wine barrels that looked awesome.

Just checked my 2nd year centennials a few days ago and was surprised to see it already sprouting up! snow just melted a few days before.

Took my eyes off 'em for a second, a second I tell ya. (Well, busy week, then weekend out of town, then two days ded from worst cold ever and this is what is out there today!!)

Arrow shows tallest tip already three twins into bush.
20150401_173120-picsay[1].jpg

All pots are really grown up and look like these.
20150401_173145-picsay[1].jpg

Second year Centennial and a couple second year Northern Brewer. Almost time I need to be putting up some string.

Here are mine as of this morning. I am getting a few inches of growth per day. I have cascade, nugget, and goldings.

20150409_073131.jpg

Hops040915.jpg

hoptrellis040915.jpg

Pictures of the new 11' trellis for my 12 second year plants and the 18 new first year varieties (I went kinda nuts this year because last year was so much fun!). Looking forward to a big harvest from the second years and finding places on my property for the new plants... The Cascade is already 7' tall!

DSC08374.jpg

DSC08372.png

So sick of winter, can't wait to see my second year ladies. They're about 5 feet behind that light post. Picture was taken today.

DSC_0096.jpg

I noticed that all of my hops are really starting to get going now. We had some snow just last week so not suprised that they are not very far along. Have 4 varieties. Centential, williammete. and cascades are 3rd year plants, fuggle is 2nd year. Hoping for a large harvest this year as the fuggle barely produced last year.

So is consensus once the first few reach 2-3 feet cut them back on second year then train the strongest and fastest after cutting and only train at tops 6? or 2nd yr let them do there thing?

I think so. Let them grow a couple feet. Chop them all off. Train 2 or 3 of the best and keep chopping off the rest. Keeping up with the new bines is a task, but it's a lot better than trying to thin them out when they have become overgrown

After it has grown pretty high. Trimming the leaves keeps the plant aired out and helps keep mildew away

Got these today for free from a friend of a friend since its (CBC) Craft Brewers Conference here in Portland! Great packaging and little story about Cascade hops and how to grow tips from some of the best in the business!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429236958.973279.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429236970.935713.jpg

And here are some more progress on my own 3year olds!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429237035.125093.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429237047.909516.jpg

We are going to plant our first hops this weekend! :D We are starting small, two Cascade and two Chinook. Attached is my plan for the trellis structure. I have an existing raised bed that we will use. I'm hoping to get a few more feet of vertical growth by being able to lower the lines the bines are on from the lines that come down to the post. We'll see how it works. I post some pictures once it is built.

View attachment Drawing1.pdf

We are going to plant our first hops this weekend! :D We are starting small, two Cascade and two Chinook. Attached is my plan for the trellis structure. I have an existing raised bed that we will use. I'm hoping to get a few more feet of vertical growth by being able to lower the lines the bines are on from the lines that come down to the post. We'll see how it works. I post some pictures once it is built.

That sounds great! I'm very inclined to copy some of your design. Thanks for sharing.!!

So far the glacier and hallertauer have hit the 14tf roof. The rest are coming along nicely the more European hops must like the milder spring we've been having in new mexico. The chinook has barely broken ground. All 2nd year plants. The wild neomexicanus are at around 8ft.

View attachment 1429588212329.jpg

93716e7e-00ef-4c90-8c84-8c10dce30e97_zpsrxbmnyzn.jpg

Planted my first hops on Sunday. Two Cascade plants. We didn't get the lines run due to a storm rolling in. They are up now.

Back