2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I started the 2013 thread when I first saw my hops pop up last March. Well the first one broke ground yesterday! WOO!

uploadfromtaptalk1394054733039.jpg

That's funny, I just checked mine yesterday too and they looked exactly like yours. I'm in Reno also. Didn't take a pic tho. I'll be planting some more varieties this year and I'll post some pics later. :mug:

That's funny, I just checked mine yesterday too and they looked exactly like yours. I'm in Reno also. Didn't take a pic tho. I'll be planting some more varieties this year and I'll post some pics later. :mug:
Oh nice, another Renoite. Yeah, it froze really hard up in Golden Valley this winter and their containers were solid ice blocks for a while so I was worried. But now that I know they are kickin' I need to transplant them to new soil. They had tiny leaf bugs last year so we're starting fresh.

Wow. Is it that time of year already? :drunk:

My hop beds are all buried under three feet of snow...

Cheers!
Oh bummer. Yeah we've hit a warm(ish) spell in Reno recently.

Well, in the three hours since I took the first photo, 8 more heads have poked themselves through!

uploadfromtaptalk1394065991767.jpg

First signs of spring. I can't wait. Plan on growing some hops this year. As soon as the ground thaws.

Figure sometime in July or so I may be able to see dirt again.

I HATE SNOW!!!!

From Michigan - I put some tomato cages around mine to harness some mulch around them last fall. If and when I see the tops of the cages again I'll let you know....

I can't wait to see all of the hop photos! This is always one of my favorite threads.

Eagerly awaiting this year, after last years first year crop gave me over 1# dried from only 3 plants I think im going to have to come up with a better drying system than taking all of my window screens out!

It just broke the freezing point here in Illinois, and it will be about 40 tomorrow. All mine are buried under snow and frozen in the ground. Oh well. It will be summer in a few months, or as we like to call the season, "road construction."

I'm hoping to add cascade, Chinook, and Zeus to my garden and do away with my Sunbeam and Willamette.

My cascade and nugget hops are starting to poke out of the ground. The goldings appear to still be sleeping.

My little raised bed hop area

20140307-IMG_0566.jpg

Cascades are poking out all over.

20140307-IMG_0563.jpg

Nuggets are coming up too.

20140307-IMG_0565.jpg

I'm 4 for 4 this year with all rhizomes making a return for their second year. I let everything go hog wild last year and didn't harvest anything at all with the hopes of letting it grow strong for year two. I was just tending to the garden and cleaning things up and I noticed that everything is coming back up. I should have Centennial, Cascade, Fuggles and Willamette going strong this year. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394404601.619006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I havent looked at my hops recently, turns out they are taking off already, these are all 2nd year plants.
I went out to uncover some of the mulch i piled on top for the winter and found a few poking up on the Newport plant.

Newport1.jpg

Then i went to the Cascade(last years big performer giving me 12oz dry) and its already poking up through the mulch.
Cascade1.jpg

Then i got to the Columbus and was surprised to see its already well through the mulch and probably 4-5 inches past it at this point...
Columbus1.jpg.jpg

I need to get my trellis all setup sometime next week i think!

It's been a very dry warm winter in Ca. this year and my hops think that spring is here already! Is it to early should I trim them back?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394518805.304801.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394518828.394686.jpg

Luckily here in MN, this week looks to be in the mid-30s. The snow has been melting (albeit, there's still 2 ft on the ground.) so hopefully in the next couple weeks the dreaded brown will be viewable.

Midwest has melted all snow, but no activity in my four pots yet. Fingers crossed I got them insulated well enough in piles of leaves and up against the south side of house. If this works, it's a system I can use long term.

Just relocated to southern Ohio and brought my adopted children with me: nugget (2nd yr), cascade (2nd yr), and a rhizome cutting off a VERY prolific centennial that I had for 3 yrs.
Put them in the ground this weekend, since the snow finally melted off. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394582622.398941.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394582637.915714.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394582650.136135.jpg

OH! OH! OH! Literally we just melted off the ground snow two weeks ago and had freezing rain last night. Today as a random check to see if they needed water, I am five for five going into second year. Columbus, Centenial, Chinook, Magnum, Cascade and Willamette.

20140312_173904-picsay.jpg

20140312_173934-picsay.jpg

20140312_173955-picsay.jpg

20140312_174024-picsay.jpg

20140312_174056-picsay.jpg

OH! OH! OH! Literally we just melted off the ground snow two weeks ago and had freezing rain last night. Today as a random check to see if they needed water, I am five for five going into second year. Columbus, Centenial, Chinook, Magnum, Cascade and Willamette.

Wait. You went five for five on six different varieties? I'm confused.... :)

Well good job in any case! Looks like this year is gonna e a strong one for fresh picked hops!

I have twelve awaiting there arrival here in south central PA!!!! Just acquired some misc. rhizomes.. guess ill plant and try to match to a species i already have lol....

Just ordered my Cascade, Chinook, and Zeus for this year, and replanned my layout for this year. If all goes well, I'll have fresh hopped ipas for the winter.

Still awaiting my rhizomes to come in the mail. But we are still covered by a good amount of snow. I still need to build a trellis though. How long after planting do the hops usually need a trellis?

I'm planning to cut off some rhizomes to thin my herd this year, but they're still under 2ft of snow so I'll have to wait. I was just thinking the other day "I hope they don't start popping up through the snow like I've seen some flowers doing :p

Here are pics of roof top container grow. The big brown container is a 189L rubber maid with a 4th year Willamette, the blue container is a 120L container with a 4th year Cascade. I cut the willamette back and put the cascade in the big container because I haven't been happy with the quality of the willamette (its been a little too grassy even for willamette). here are last years pictures https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/2013-hop-garden-photo-thread-398999/index80.html#post5499990

PIC_0595.jpg

PIC_0596.jpg

PIC_0598.jpg

PIC_0599.jpg

Just built some raised beds today. 2nd year Willamette and Columbus in the far bed and Centennial and Cascade will go in the close one.

1395622892480.jpg

Debated going outside today to check and see if any of my hops has broken through but I didn't bother. We've only in the past few days had consistent highs above freezing after a record snowy and cold winter. I love snow so I don't mind, but I can't wait to see my hops again this year and also get my garden in as well. Will probably be putting up some sort of new hop trellis and am also considering replacing at least one of my 4 varieties (Willamette has never done anything for me, Cascade and Magnum grow like crazy, Mt. Hood is...meh). I think they've all been crowded and not given enough room to grow up on ~7' trellises.

Back