2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that would have been faaaaabulous!!!!

Skeptical-Cat.jpg

LOL... I forgot about Sacc runnin' down the street with the backpack.

That restaurant owner guy was actually really cool to talk to for a bit and the whole, "here, try this wine" was comical. Soper's drinking Stone's Anniversary hop bomb of a beer and then takin tiny sips of this red wine... "hmmm. Yeaaah, I'm picking up some nice hints here and there".

And remember, during these two epic moments, the NHC hadn't even started yet!

I saw you a couple of times and you always sd this mildly pissed iff look on your face so I didn't say hi. I figure... if someone is in a bad mood, running into me raises that to the nineth power. Its a bad scene.

Really? I dunno about you, but I paid something like $190 to attend these seminars, and they were closed to anyone not attending the conference. I am not sure WHO owns the content rights...that is, whether it is the speaker or the AHA or the attendees, but at the very least you could consider this content work-for-hire and proprietary.

I think it is very nice that AHA puts up the powerpoints on their website, but I don't think they are obligated to make it freely available to the public by any means, especially to non-AHA members and/or non-conference attendees.

They arent obligated to but they do it anyway. Whoever made the recording owns the rights to the recording. Notes and recordings are encouraged during the conference. There would be a gray area if someone was going to try to market and profit from these recordings but that is obviously not the case here.

They arent obligated to but they do it anyway. Whoever made the recording owns the rights to the recording. Notes and recordings are encouraged during the conference. There would be a gray area if someone was going to try to market and profit from these recordings but that is obviously not the case here.

Just properly cite the source

As someone who has presented at the conference several times (as well as a 6 year member of the AHA Governing Committee), no one is encouraged to record the seminars for public distribution. Private use is another matter, but if someone recorded one of my seminars and posted it without my permission, I'd have a real problem with it.

would you likely give permission or deny permission if asked?

I would likely give permission, but it would depend on how it was done, who was asking, and what the intended end use was. If it was already posted and then I was asked, I would deny permission.

I would likely give permission, but it would depend on how it was done, who was asking, and what the intended end use was. If it was already posted and then I was asked, I would deny permission.

Thats pretty *****y, why bother speaking in the first place if you dont want to share information that you have, so long as noone is going to make money off of the information you have,

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference-information/presentations/

You know I think Denny is just making a stand on the principle of it being courteous to ask before re-posting. The seminars are in fact paid for by the conference package that allows you to attend them, and the conference and the speakers have every right to restrict further access if they so choose.

As to Denny being *****y ..... He has done an enormous amount to further the cause and the education of home brewing over the years, and he is extremely generous with his knowledge on these and other forums. Me thinks perhaps you are unaware of all the help, assistance, and information Denny regularly provides to the home brewing community.

While I've never presented at NHC, I have given plenty of tech talks at various forums for my day job and the ownership of the delivered material remains that of the presenter but the "performance" or organized access to it is under the control of the forum admin. In other words, that specific audio delivery wouldn't have happened if the AHA did not set it up. It really doesn't matter if the next distributor of the content is making money or not. It's the same reason why you can't show a DVD on a projector in the park without paying the studio. Its value is reduced when it's given away.

Think of it this way, what if someone went into the members only forum here and copied everything to a new website that made the content available for free?

CLUBS have REGULAR meetings, bylaws or a charter of some kind, and events. Many CLUBS hold regional competitions, which further the hobby. CLUBS also hold preparatory classes and host BJCP Exams, without which the NHC would be impossible.

Well I guess my old "club" wasn't one at all. We had no regular meetings, no dues, didn't host a competition or BJCP exams. We had no charter or bylaws. But, they ARE recognized by the AHA. We just got together and brewed every now and then. Two Mid-South Homebrewers of the Year came from our <10 person club. My club allowed me to take home a silver in the second round of the Nationals in 2009. But since we're not a club according to your asinine rules, I guess it doesn't matter. Right?

CLUBS have people working to further the hobby, to educate new brewers and further the education of old brewers. My CLUB is the oldest club in the country, I'm in my 11th year on the Board of Directors, and I can tell you that a real CLUB has a core of volunteers that put in a lot of time between meetings, tastings, etc, and THAT is the kind of CLUB that the award was originally intended to recognize. Now, my club has not been in serious contention for the COTY for many years, we just don't have that many people entering the NHC, but that's besides the point.

TBN is a forum that many homebrewers use to further the hobby through education. Many brewers don't have local clubs that they can just go visit. Get off your damn jealous high horse. Even Gordon Strong said it right, "if you don't like it, brew better beer."

While I've never presented at NHC, I have given plenty of tech talks at various forums for my day job and the ownership of the delivered material remains that of the presenter but the "performance" or organized access to it is under the control of the forum admin. In other words, that specific audio delivery wouldn't have happened if the AHA did not set it up.

From what I know of copyright law (having taken entertainment law classes on the subject and keep up with this kind of stuff since I tape every concert I attend for private listening) I don't think this is completely true.

There's only one copyright holder, rights aren't split like you mention above. You can't copyright a performance, you can only copyright a fixed medium, ie: novel, drawing, sound recording, etc. If a work is related to employment (ie, you work for a company and it's within the scope of your job duties) or it's commissioned and it's in writing that its work for hire, the presenter/author has no legal copyright claim unless the contract says otherwise. Presentations at an AHA Conference may or may not be AHA property depending on whatever contracts are signed...:
§ 201. Ownership of copyright
Works Made for Hire. &#8212; In the case of a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the copyright.

Then there's the separate issue with the recording ownership... Whoever recorded it owns the rights to the recording as long as the copyright holder is respected. That means the owner of the recording can sell his recording to another person/company or give it away but the cannot sell copies of, reproduce, distribute or publicly perform it without permission from whoever owns the copyright.

They're not a club and like I was saying before, they'll just continue to be met with a ton of eyerolls and sarcastic, "congrats. Bang up job guys" comments while 40 people who've never met each other rush the stage and high five each for winning a total sham of an award.

No one is saying they aren't a great "forum that many homebrewers use to further their hobby"... all people are saying is its a total sham for them to win "club of the year". And really? These folks are that hard up for some sort of an award that they have to game the system so they can have a " yeaay, we won club of the year" logo on the website??

Again, bang up job guys. Congrats.

From what I know of copyright law (having taken entertainment law classes on the subject and keep up with this kind of stuff since I tape every concert I attend for private listening) I don't think this is completely true.

There's only one copyright holder, rights aren't split like you mention above. You can't copyright a performance, you can only copyright a fixed medium, ie: novel, drawing, sound recording, etc. If a work is related to employment (ie, you work for a company and it's within the scope of your job duties) or it's commissioned and it's in writing that its work for hire, the presenter/author has no legal copyright claim unless the contract says otherwise. Presentations at an AHA Conference may or may not be AHA property depending on whatever contracts are signed...:
§ 201. Ownership of copyright
Works Made for Hire. — In the case of a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the copyright.

Then there's the separate issue with the recording ownership... Whoever recorded it owns the rights to the recording as long as the copyright holder is respected. That means the owner of the recording can sell his recording to another person/company or give it away but the cannot sell copies of, reproduce, distribute or publicly perform it without permission from whoever owns the copyright.

There are no contracts signed, there is no remuneration. Not even compensation for expenses. All presenters are there at their own expense to help out the brewing community. For me, it's not so much a legal situation as a moral one.

yeah it doesnt matter if they technically qualify as a club or not, everyone knows there not a real club.

if they plan on entering again as a club next year...everyone should enter as HBT or some made up name like "club bull shet" or BS "brewers s.h.it. "just to make a point so they dont take the award 2 years in a row

I think people are really jumping the gun and overstating the BN victory... It was won by 14 points... Maybe if the competition was blown out year after year I could see people complaining but people have been entering under the BN banner for several years and they are people who mostly don't have a local club... and even everyone in the BN Club (which is separate entity from the show) seems to agree that if that were the case they'd just stop entering. What would be the point?

There's also rules which limit the amount of points a club can receive in the first round... and taking the BN out of the picture there's really only a few clubs competing for Club of the Year. The difference in points from 3rd place and 4th is over 100. Hell, it's really just been a QUAFF, DOZE and St. Paul Comp the last 10 years if you ask me... and there once was a club who had a 10 peat.

There's a discussion on the AHA forums about it and I agree with Gordon's sentiments. It's also even more hilarious that Justin is the head of the AHA Club committee.

There are no contracts signed, there is no remuneration. Not even compensation for expenses. All presenters are there at their own expense to help out the brewing community.
Really? Not even passes to club night or hotel for the night?

Well I guess my old "club" wasn't one at all. We had no regular meetings, no dues, didn't host a competition or BJCP exams. We had no charter or bylaws. But, they ARE recognized by the AHA. We just got together and brewed every now and then. Two Mid-South Homebrewers of the Year came from our <10 person club. My club allowed me to take home a silver in the second round of the Nationals in 2009. But since we're not a club according to your asinine rules, I guess it doesn't matter. Right?

TBN is a forum that many homebrewers use to further the hobby through education. Many brewers don't have local clubs that they can just go visit. Get off your damn jealous high horse. Even Gordon Strong said it right, "if you don't like it, brew better beer."

Bylaws are important!

CHUG_bylaws_web.jpg

They're not a club and like I was saying before, they'll just continue to be met with a ton of eyerolls and sarcastic, "congrats. Bang up job guys" comments while 40 people who've never met each other rush the stage and high five each for winning a total sham of an award.

No one is saying they aren't a great "forum that many homebrewers use to further their hobby"... all people are saying is its a total sham for them to win "club of the year". And really? These folks are that hard up for some sort of an award that they have to game the system so they can have a " yeaay, we won club of the year" logo on the website??

Eh. I live in KC and entered under the venerable (former Club of the Year) Kansas City Bier Meisters. Through circumstances not regretted, but beyond my control, I have spent more time with hombrewers in Tokyo this year than with my home club. Should I change my alliance? No club in any of our lifetimes has won without some gaming. Is it fair? I don't know. But the fair is in October and the NHC is in June.

That's fine and a valid argument. I was just find it hilarious that someone thinks bylaws and what-not are required for a club. If your club is all uppity like that, then it's probably not the club for me. Everyone's different, that's all I was trying to get at.

That's fine and a valid argument. I was just find it hilarious that someone thinks bylaws and what-not are required for a club. If your club is all uppity like that, then it's probably not the club for me. Everyone's different, that's all I was trying to get at.

Wow, didn't realize having bylaws made a club all uppity. I guess I'm seriously going to have to rethink my club. Maybe not, I probably will bring it up at the next meeting though. Hey guys, it has been brought to my attention that we are all uppity. Why would we be like that?!?!? :p

At CHUG we define uppity!

The more I think about it , with the BN winning, I just feel home brewing and the AHA is going through growing pains. when I first started brewing, I did not know very many people at all who brewed, but now half the people on my block brew. I love it! but also with a advent of social media and the what not the definitions of "culb" have changed.

Personal I don't compete much, and when I do my beers don't do so well. I get the comment "This is maybe closer to such and style but its a great beer" a mostly. But from what I see and hear the it seems that for a lot of comps are a bit overwhelmed and the quality of the judging can be questionable. I think this is a much more important thing to start looking at in the future.

Wow, didn't realize having bylaws made a club all uppity. I guess I'm seriously going to have to rethink my club. Maybe not, I probably will bring it up at the next meeting though. Hey guys, it has been brought to my attention that we are all uppity. Why would we be like that?!?!? :p

Haha...I can tell my thoughts aren't being conveyed very well on these here interwebs. It was the whole laundry list of "this defines a club" that I found amusing - I'm just offering a counter-viewpoint. :mug:

I think that was from our Emperor's (Carnevoodoo) pint he chugged in 0.25seconds...Nautical nut brown from Ale smith I think it was.

Come to think of it there is the one by law that is not on that, if you can chug faster than the emperor you become emperor,but i guess thats just and unwritten law.

What's really classy about the CHUG bylaws is the ring at the bottom of the page where someone rested their glass/can/bottle. It shows that, when it comes to beer, they mean business!

That is the stamp of approval!

I think that was from our Emperor's (Carnevoodoo) pint he chugged in 0.25seconds...Nautical nut brown from Ale smith I think it was.

Come to think of it there is the one by law that is not on that, if you can chug faster than the emperor you become emperor,but i guess thats just and unwritten law.
We know it'll never happen, so we didn't really need to write it down ;)

Well I guess my old "club" wasn't one at all. We had no regular meetings, no dues, didn't host a competition or BJCP exams. We had no charter or bylaws. But, they ARE recognized by the AHA. We just got together and brewed every now and then. Two Mid-South Homebrewers of the Year came from our <10 person club. My club allowed me to take home a silver in the second round of the Nationals in 2009.

Where can I sign up for this club? I want to be a member of your club.

Back