2011 AHA NHC - whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
The entry delivery window; 3/21-3/30, is almost here. Who's entering and what? And what's up with selecting your own region? That seemed strange. Normally I would ship to Atlanta but Atlanta isn't one of the choices (I assume Nashville took their place). I picked Texas because it had less entries.

I think I'll have 6 entries:
Mild
Strong Scotch
Helles
RIS
Vienna
Bitter

The Vienna and Bitter are a bit young and not as clear as I'd like but w/e. I suppose I still have time to gelatin them if I want to. I also have a Boh Pils and Maibock that are possibilities but still young.

I have 3 - American Brown, Oatmeal Stout, and American Barleywine.

There are doing regions this year because a couple regions maxed out last year at 750. You have to pick a region, but it doesn't have to be near you. But all your entries need to go to that region. This way when you go to enter your beer and your region is maxed out, you can still send it in to a region that has entries open.

Last year, the Northeast and Minnesota ( NHC location ) region maxed out really early and some people were shut out from entering.

Last year, the Northeast and Minnesota ( NHC location ) region maxed out really early and some people were shut out from entering.
So, it's curious that they only have one drop-off location in the Northeast. Actually only one in the entire East. It'll be interesting to see how many brewers send there beers across the country just to avoid the competition.

Right now the NE, Indy and SD regions are leading the entries. TN could be considered East for the southern entrants and Indy's not too far West. Last year we had to send all entries the Philly, but if you were late to the game, you were out of luck.

I wonder if people would send their entries to a different region based in style. For example, a really hoppy IPA may do better in a west region than it would in the south or east regions. But then all your entries have to go to the same region so it may not be worth it in the end.

I've got caught with my pipeline down, hence no beers to the HBT contest :( I'm finally back in the brewing groove and I've got a couple that I'm pushing a bit for the NHC

Marzen
Std American Lager
Kolsch
Irish Red

Only the last one will be properly aged so we will see. I'll be counting on the extra 2 weeks of aging

I have a special bitter and brown porter I was planning on sending in, though the $14 entry fee per bottle is a bit steep for us non-AHA members. I'm also new at bottling from the keg, so I'm a bit worried about how the carbonation is going to hold up.

Oatmeal Stout and Belgian Dark Strong Ale. I'm sending to NY.

BTW, quick question...I added some cocoa powder to my Oatmeal Stout to enhance the chocolate flavor and it is apparent. However, I'm wondering if this would still fit in the 13C category, or if it would have to go into 23A. Any thoughts?

Oatmeal Stout and Belgian Dark Strong Ale. I'm sending to NY.

BTW, quick question...I added some cocoa powder to my Oatmeal Stout to enhance the chocolate flavor and it is apparent. However, I'm wondering if this would still fit in the 13C category, or if it would have to go into 23A. Any thoughts?

Since you say it is apparent, 21A. Beers only go in 23 if they fit nowhere else and if you read the comments section of 21A things like chocolate and chillies while not strictly spices, herbs or vegetables still go there.

I entered a Bo Pils into the competition this year. I entered my beer in the Lodi, CA region. I live about 10 minutes north of Lodi.

Since you say it is apparent, 21A. Beers only go in 23 if they fit nowhere else and if you read the comments section of 21A things like chocolate and chillies while not strictly spices, herbs or vegetables still go there.

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think about putting it in this category since cocoa is not really a spice, but I forgot that cocoa powders from different regions are sold in spice stores.

I have 9 entries heading to Denver. Imperial Stout, Premium American Lager, Flanders Red, Raspberry Lambic, Coffee Stout, Traditional Bock, Juniper-Aged Vanilla Imperial Stout, Raspberry Imperial Stout, American Barleywine.

I like being able to pick my region. It is cheaper and closer to send things to Denver from New Mexico!

It will be interesting to see how it goes there. I have had good luck with the judges in San Diego, but Denver is more like home turf.

I've got an all Nelson Sauvin dry hopped saison that's ten different levels of awesome. I think I'm gonna send that. My drop off is in Dallas.

I've got an American IPA, English IPA, Robust porter, Northern english Brown, Alt and Ord Bitter. Hopefully some will do well! Looks like Indy is closed out already.

I thought about sending my beers where there was less competition, But, hell, you gotsta step up to the plate! Want to be the best, go against the best!

I have a feeling that they will close out in most areas.

I entered in NY.

An american wheat and an imperial IPA.

We have six entries this year in TN: a traditional bock, an english barleywine, a cream ale, a schwarzbier, an american lager, and an amber ale.

American IPA
APA
Sent today to Wisconsin

Does anyone know when they post first round results online? I'm trying to figure out if I would have time to re-brew if I'm fortunate enough to move on.

Although some regions will be completed before others, the AHA usually holds out posting the results online until everyone is done. However, if your region is on the ball, you may get your scoresheets before that.

Your region has some good people in it, well organized so you may get your results quickly...unless the AHA makes them hold them.

I put in an orange hefe and my rye pale ale. Sent them off this morning to wisconsin.

Does anyone know when they post first round results online? I'm trying to figure out if I would have time to re-brew if I'm fortunate enough to move on.

Per the R&R:
A. Judging

(1) First Round judging of all entries will be done at the First Round Judging Centers April 2- April 23, 2011. (Canadian entries will be judged April 11-16, 2011.)

(2) The Judging Center directors will strive to mail score sheets with judges’ comments to entrants by May 27, 2011. If any of your entries qualify for the Final Round judging, the AHA will mail you notice by the third week of May with instructions on how, when and where to send entries [three (3) bottles per qualifying entry] for Final Round judging. Contestants are advised to refrigerate or properly store potential Final Round entries to minimize changes in character. RE-BREWING recipes of entries advancing from First Round IS PERMITTED.

(3) Final Round judging of qualifying entries will be done at the AHA National Homebrewers Conference in San Diego, CA, on June 16, 2011.

So the first round judging won't be complete until April 23rd. A list of final round qualifiers will come out before the 3rd week of May but it will take a little while after April 23rd. So I wouldn't count on it before May 1st. Final round entries must arrive by June 6th. So that only gives you about a month from getting your results from the first round to having to ship the final round entries.

So the first round judging won't be complete until April 23rd. A list of final round qualifiers will come out before the 3rd week of May but it will take a little while after April 23rd. So I wouldn't count on it before May 1st. Final round entries must arrive by June 6th. So that only gives you about a month from getting your results from the first round to having to ship the final round entries.

Ok thanks. That's what I was coming up with also. I think maybe I'll just plan on re-brewing around late april (with the expectation that I would need to :D). That way my IPA and APA would be at their peak come final round...or come summer...depending.

I know I'm taking a big chance on this, but I'm waiting on the HBT results to determine whether I should send off my hop burst APA to the NHC...

Think we'll know by the 28th whether I've gone on the the final round in HBT?

I guess I could enter my sour cherry amber, but it's my friends and family that tell that one is good, I'm on the fence about it...

I know I'm taking a big chance on this, but I'm waiting on the HBT results to determine whether I should send off my hop burst APA to the NHC...

Think we'll know by the 28th whether I've gone on the the final round in HBT?

I guess I could enter my sour cherry amber, but it's my friends and family that tell that one is good, I'm on the fence about it...
Judging for HBT is on the 26th and deadline for NHC is the 30th. Considering shipping time I think it would be cutting it very close. I went ahead and entered my two HBT entries in NHC.

Also, I'm dropping the Bitter mentioned in OP and subbing an 'American Amber Lager' in 23.

I'm entering a mild and a brown ale. It's my first time entering the AHA comp so I am a bit nervous and excited. Looking forward to the feedback. I entered in Texas since it is closest and had the fewest entries at the time.

I just entered to be safe, and then had a panicked thought that I might not have enough of the APA left in the keg to fill 4 bottles. I guess I'll know tonight when I head out there with the empties...

I entered an Imperial Stout, a Hazelnut Brown, and a Ginger Saison. I did really well in the Dominion Cup competition w/ the stout, but obviously that's a much smaller comp. We'll see what happens.

Sent my entries out today. The lady at the UPS store was giving me all sorts of hell, apparently she knows what the NHC is and was giving me lip about sending alcohol through the mail. Apparently there is a memo going around.

Finally got it mailed at a different location, though I pretty much just wasted $35 bucks as I only had enough beer to get three bottles of each (so no hope of advancing) and I totally undercarbed the beer from the keg. I probably managed to oxidize the hell out of it too. If the package even gets to Saratoga, I'll be amazed!

That sucks!

Have a couple to send out today, but decided to add a Robust Porter after tasting it last night.
Unfortunately, the only East judging center, Saratoga Springs, is full.

I'd send it (or all of my entries) to one of the other judging centers, but once you commit, they won't let you change locations.

Hmmm. Just thinking. I got the family AHA plan, so my wife's a member . . .
Would that be wrong? :eek:

That sucks!

Have a couple to send out today, but decided to add a Robust Porter after tasting it last night.
Unfortunately, the only East judging center, Saratoga Springs, is full.

I'd send it (or all of my entries) to one of the other judging centers, but once you commit, they won't let you change locations.

Hmmm. Just thinking. I got the family AHA plan, so my wife's a member . . .
Would that be wrong? :eek:

Yes it would be wrong to lie about who the brewer is on the entry form.

Why is committing to another location a hardship?

The good news is that there was enough in the keg of hop burst APA to fill 4 bottles and a pint glass for my hard work, the bad news is that there was enough to fill 4 bottles...I'm nervous about how I'll do this time around. My only other NHC comp entry years ago saw me get to the finals with an old ale that was so far out of category gravity-wise I'm amazed it went anywhere. I guess I hid the 12% well...

I can almost read the score sheets on my sour cherry imperial amber right now, but I'm hoping that one surprises me too...

They'll be at UPS tonight for the expensive truck ride north...

Yes it would be wrong to lie about who the brewer is on the entry form.

Why is committing to another location a hardship?
They won't let you enter in two different locations and I've already got a couple going to Saratoga Springs. Since that judging center is full, there's no "legal" way to enter another beer even though there are plenty of spots open in other regions.

They claim that they are allowing entries to be sent to regions outside of where you live because some spots filled last year and others didn't. They did it as a way to get more beers into the competition. Kind of defeats the purpose if you have no option to switch location or send to multiple locations once a spot fills.

Back