20# to 5# CO2 Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
I've already ordered a 5# CO2 tank and then came across a killer deal for two 20#s, that were inspected just over a year ago.

Is it possible to fill up the 20#s and transfer CO2 myself to the 5# tank?

yes you can. you wither need to get dip tubes installed on the 20# tanks or flip them upside down when transferring to get the liquid out and into the 5# tank.

Why would you want to transfer, when they are so cheaply filled.

By cheap, how much do you mean? I was quite surprised to find out that my local AGA gas company charges over $20.00 for a 5 lb. tank. I went up there thinking it would be quite cheap to fill one up and was surprised when I spent almost $30.00 after charges for "Hazmat Disposal Fees".

usually about $15 bucks for 5#, 10#, 20#.. Try a diff place. Get the 20#, and use the 5# for when you go places. I use my 5# just for keggin process and for outings. The 20# is connected to kegerator. It will last me surely over a year.

Who are you using? I can't imagine an Airgas or Capweld can be too much farther. Capweld will fill while Airgas will only exchange.

Right on... I have heard of guys going up to the LPBS (Local Paintball Store) and getting their tanks filled there. Frequented those shops quite a bit back in my paintballing days and still know the owners up there. Might give that a shot as there are really no other gas supply companies in the area.

My recommendation is to use the 5# for dispensing beer and the 20# for carbing, purging kegs, pushing beer, etc. The 5# will last a long time just dispensing beer and the 20# will be your work horse doing every thing else. It's the way I do it.

I'll ditto EdWort's solution, although I have two #5s and just stick an empty in the van to wait for the next trip to "the big city".

Filling the 5'er is NOT worth it. I have filled 5 20lb tanks worth of paintball tanks for me and my friends and to get the smaller tank to recieve liquid co2, you need to have it in the freezer overnight. It's not like you can just tip the 20 lb tank and fil the 5 lb with only liquid. Also, i weigh the paintball tanks when i fill them so i know how much liquid is too much. If you manage to overfill the 5break the 5 lb tank, you will break your pressure relief plug and loose it all.

Why would you want to transfer the CO2, it doesnt need to be cold (i.e. in the fridge) just keep it outside. I use two 20# tanks and they work wonders not only that but they last forever!!! Keep the 20#, use them, and keep the 5# for emergencies or if you want to take your beer somewhere (party, park...). Transfering bottle to bottle really does waste a lot of CO2, expanding and compressing will turn to chill loss in your lines + any leaks.... Stick with the 20#ers they rock!

i'm about to set up to transfer from my 10# to my 5#.

If I get the 10#'er out of my kegerator, I can fit in another corny. Which means more beer on tap.

The setup linked above is missing a few valves. There should be a valve for each tank, and a T somewhere to let out the air. You can use the tank shutoff valves, but 1/4 turn valves are much easier to work with.

Instead of freezing the tank you can just put a bit of CO2 in the small tank and purge it to clear the tank. Or you can just refill the tank before it's completely empty. Use the last bit of gas to chill the tank. (A colder tank can accept more CO2.)

Back