20 LB CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrlandoHomeBrewer

Reaction score
I am ready to start kegging and I friend offered me a 20lb CO2 tank with 2 gauge regulator and hoses for $60. That seems like a really good price. Is there any drawback to a 20lb tank? It seems like everyone uses 5 and 10 lbers.

Well, you cant make a self contained kegerator with a minifridge if you have a 20lber. But yes, that is an awfully good deal.

no, none at all, besides it's slightly bigger size, you have more advantages, one being that those are more easily available at co2 trade places. I find that when I go to get my 5 or 10# tank swapped, they often do not have that size, and therefore I have to get it filled. THis is not a problem, but most of the places around me will send them out to get filled, so I have to wait a few days to get it filled. THis is not the case everywhere, but her in SA , 3 places are like that.

Thanks. It sounded like a really good deal and I hear the larger the tank, the cheaper they are to fill.

I am not worried about a kegerator since I can pick up a full size auxiliary fridge to put in the garage for real cheap.

Yeah that's a real good deal. You might try Craigslist for a fridge. You can get a fridge suitable for brewing for free on there sometimes..

I use a 20lb tank as well. With a regulator that is a good deal. Swap the tank out and it won't matter if the tank hasn't been inspected in a while. If you fill there is an inspection fee if the tank hasn't been inspected within a certain timeframe.

Swapping my 20lb tank out was $18 and change out the door.

2693197010_3391afcdbe.jpg

It's a good deal as long as it's all functional. You can always locate it outside the kegerator. The refills for a 20lb tank aren't that much more than smaller tanks and you don't have to refill them as often. I would almost prefer a 50lb tank, but it seems like it would be a hassle to move it around. Unless you're pretty physically inept, the weight of a 20lb tank won't be a problem.

definitely get it. if you figure a regulator costs ~$50 and a deposit for a 20# tank at a welding gas supply will run you ~$100, it's a hell of a deal.

I just got back from picking it up. The tank and regulator appear to be in good shape. I am relieved to be done with washing bottles.

Thanks for the advice!

Len

Be careful getting a deal on a 20lbs tank. I bought one in the orlando area and it was a coke tank. I took it to a couple places in the area and they wouldn't fill it because it is property of coke. Kinda like the keg controversy. I cant decide what I want to do now. One of the co2 guys told me about how some people repaint them and bring them in so I might do that but I ended up buying a 10lbs tank when I was downtown trying to get the 20lbs filled. I was having a party and needed a full tank that day so I didn't have an option to wait for paint to dry.

Ugh.

It doesn't say Coke on it but it does say Pepsicola (kind of engraved towards the top). I wonder if I will have a problem getting it filled. If all I have to do is paint it, what color and type of paint should I use?

I have (2) 20lb bottles. Both from Coke. I found the beverage supply's wouldn't fill them but welding and fire supplys could care less.

I got the bottles cheap and to be honest, swaps are becoming more and more appealing to me. It's much easier to upgrade / downgrade if you volume needs change. Personally, I''d like to have a 40 (Main), a 10(Backup) and a 5(Portable). Or something around that.

Back