20 Gallon Fermentor and Temp. Control Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73runner400

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a while. I really want to brew 1/2 bbl batches now. I want to get a 20 gallon fermenter that is self draining and want to control the temp as my place doesn't have A/C and several batches have been ruined due to getting to hot. Does anyone out there know of any fermenter ideas in that size that doesn't cost $1000? I really don't want to get into to much carpentry, I'd like something easy-no headaches. Maybe something that can fit into a freezer.

So what I need is a large (20 gal) fermenter that self drains, easy to assemble or already made, and a way to keep it cool.

I'd appreciate any ideas, thoughts or links.

Thanks!

The Brewhemoth fits the bill, the chilling option allows temp control, add a pressurizer and enjoy transferring under pressure. All for under a 1000!!!

If you have a kegerator you can use a keg full of water, or another vessel for the matter, and have a temperature switch (stc-1000 or similar) that actuates a small pump to pump cold water through the chilling coil of the brewhemoth to keep the fermentation temperature right where you want. It is all stainless so light isn't an issue. It can sit right next to your kegerator and you will look like a brewery. And you are spending around $900? Pretty damn good deal!

I have a 30 gal plastic conical fitted with butterfly valves and a 20 cf Frigidaire freezer with temp control for about $600

Back