20 Gal Fermenting Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickr

Reaction score
image_351.jpg

20 Gallon Fermenting Bucket & Lid - Buckets - Fermenting Equipment - Equipment

I purchased a bucket just like this from my local home brew shop. I noticed that this lid is secured by the metal hooks on it but it does not snap down and create a seal like my 6 gal bucket lids do. Since this is not air tight should I 1. use this as a primary fermenter (or return it)? and 2. install an air lock on it? I know that this will keep junk from getting into the beer but how important is it that it be air tight? I can also cut a piece of plywood and get some tie downs to put more pressure on the lid.

Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Rick

The bucket does not need to be airtight. It just needs to keep the nasties out. The production of CO2 by the yeast will help a lot too. You don't even need an airlock if it's not air tight. :D

I've been wondering lately... with that amount of beer in a container, is there a greater risk of creating too much CO2 and blowing the lid off? Or does the fact that it's not airtight reduce the risk since the gas is continually leaking out?

I just got a Brute to ferment in and plan on putting a blow off tube in. I've also seen that you can use a bike inner tube as a gasket for the lid.

Latest posts

Back