2 Yeast Vial Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kproudfoot

Reaction score
My next batch is a 9+ ABVIPA which calls for a yeast starter with 2 Vials. I recently bought a stir plate with a 2 L flask. Dear Smith tells me to make a 4 L starter for the two vials. Obviously I can’t fit that much liquid into one 2 L flask. My thoughts are I have two options. First is to do a 2 L starter in my flask and another 2 L starter in a glass jar like I’ve done in the past and just manually shake it for a few extra days. My other option is to do a 2l starter in the flask for a couple days save it in a mason jar and then do another 2 L starter.

What are everyone’s thoughts on what I should do?

Reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg bit that goes, “2-in-1 is a ******** concept. One is not big enough to hold two - that’s why two was created in the first place.”

Anyway, if it were me, I would make a 2L starter of 1.045 DME and pitch both vials into it. Let it spin a couple days, then fridge it for 24-48 hours to let the yeast drop down. Pour off the clear liquid being careful to preserve any hazy stuff floating above the yeast cake at the bottom of the flask. That will likely be enough yeast for a 9% beer. However if you want to make absolutely certain, repeat the process with another step of slightly stronger DME to displace a total of 2L (you’ll have about 250-500ml of yeast cake and liquid still in your flask after decanting).

Reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg bit that goes, “2-in-1 is a ******** concept. One is not big enough to hold two - that’s why two was created in the first place.”

Anyway, if it were me, I would make a 2L starter of 1.045 DME and pitch both vials into it. Let it spin a couple days, then fridge it for 24-48 hours to let the yeast drop down. Pour off the clear liquid being careful to preserve any hazy stuff floating above the yeast cake at the bottom of the flask. That will likely be enough yeast for a 9% beer. However if you want to make absolutely certain, repeat the process with another step of slightly stronger DME to displace a total of 2L (you’ll have about 250-500ml of yeast cake and liquid still in your flask after decanting).

Thanks

Back