2 yeast starters... Different action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am brewing 8 gal of a 1.073 OG Belgian. I bought 2 packs of 1762. I checked brewersfriend's starter calculator and figured if I did a one step starter for 3 gal and a two step for 5 gal, I'd be where I needed.

I started the first step for the 5 gal fermenter yesterday morning and the first (and only) step for the 3 gal last night, and the second step for the 5 gal last night as well.
This morning the starter for the 3 gal had a big krausen and was lighter in color,
the one for the 5 gal still showed no signs of activity!!
Should I assume all the yeast from that pack was dead?
What the hell?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Take a hydrometer reading of the starter. If it's around 1.010 it did its job. If it's around 1.040, maybe it is off to a slow start. I've had starters take a couple days to show activity, depending on how old the yeast was. I've also had starters that finished without showing any signs of activity. The only way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading.

No I brew tomorrow. I combined the starters together, stepped it up, then eyeballed what looked like the proportion of 3/8 and 5/8ths.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back