2 wyeast nutrient packets? DME alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
Hey Guys, few questions after making my 2nd yeast starter.

1. I smacked my wyeast pack 3 hours ago and it swelled, not worried about that as it was made 9/20 so its newer yeast. After I pitched the yeast in the starter, I opened the pack to see 2 nutrient packs? Does this look like my pack had 2 nutrient satchels? Or did I not smack it correct?

24zipuf.jpg

2. Anyone using something else than DME for starters? I'm starting to find this is expensive making 2l starters with DME. Just curious on that..

3. I made a 2liter starter, and I only need 1.5l for my beer on Saturday. I would love to save some of this starter yeast in a empty/sanitized wyeast nutrient vial. Any tips on this? I'm thinking I will leave a little starter wort in my flask, swirl, then put some yeast in the vial and top off with distilled water and pitch the rest.. Just looking for best practices on this.

Thanks peeps
justin

1. I've never smacked correctly, so no clue.
2. When I've run off all the wort I want from my mash, I resparge and use the 3rd runnings as starters. The gravity is usually around 1.020. I add some table sugar, bread yeast and the world's smallest drop of olive oil and boil away. Then I freeze and store for next time. In a pinch, you can use a pinch of flour and some table sugar to make a starter, although this will lead to increased lag time.
3. I use bleached water bottles to store my yeast. They're free and unbreakable.

It looks like the sealing machine or cutting machine may have been misaligned. You may or may not have had nutrient in the flat side.

If you made a starter there are no worries. The nutrient only awakens the yeast.

On my list is to get some canning equipment (pressure cooker/canner) then I will make a batch with cheap 2 row at about 1.040 and refrigerate some.

If you have saved any White Labs vials you could use them to store some yeast. If you use good sanitation practices you should be able to store some in the refrigerator about the same as the commercial packaging.

Back