2 Weeks into my first lager, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcsum68

Reaction score
So much conflicting information, rack to secondary, just keep it there.

I dunno, so I am asking, again...

I keep reading about people just leaving it there it will taste better (thats good), the northernbrewer instructions say to rack, but other than that they are vague about temps.

I read elsewhere that I should lower the temps now that primary fermentation is finished, is that correct?

If you've done a diacetyl rest (if you needed one) and it's finished fermenting, you should lower the temp. to lager temps, then rack and keep at lager temps. It's best to lower temp. fairly slowly (5-10dF per day).

If you've done a diacetyl rest (if you needed one) and it's finished fermenting, you should lower the temp. to lager temps, then rack and keep at lager temps. It's best to lower temp. fairly slowly (5-10dF per day).

Well, I read about doing that at byo, however my instructions mention nothing about doing that, thanks for the response.

I am following Jamil's method... six weeks in the primary, hold at fermentation temps until fermentation slows, drop to 40-42, hold until six weeks, then rack to keg or secondary if bottling for lagering period of two weeks per 10 gravity points.

I usually go 2-3 weeks (however long it needs) in primary with diacetyl rest near the end, slowly (5-10 per day) lower back to 45ish, then rack to secondary and lager for 4-6 weeks. Usually takes about 2 months to get to the bottle.

all of these answers can be correct depending on the specific beer and the specific yeast. Stop worrying about times and follow what the beer tells you to do. If primary fermentation is nearly done in 5 days, fine. If it takes 3 weeks to get a few points away from you FG, then so be it. Taste it for diacetyl (only had any once) and do a rest if necessary. Start cooling it down to lager temps. Leave it there for as long as you can stand it. My record is over 3 months. That beer turned out to be the most wonderful stuff I've made. During that time, you just wait till it clears up, then transfer to secondary. On that particular beer it took about 4 weeks to clear. Again that time can change greatly because of many factors.

The yeast know what they're doing. Follow their lead and you'll be happy with the results. The clock and calandar don't know anything about making beer, so why listen to them at all?

Thanks, more conflicting information!

Its not at my house, so I am going to keep it in the primary longer since that will be much easier.

Back