2 Weeks into my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
So, today marks 2 weeks after my first brew day (Northern Brewer's the Number 8 extract, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale styled after Rochefort 8).

Thursday the 5th I made the starter. Sunday the 8th I brewed. OG was 1.085, this past Tuesday morning (9 days into primary) I took the first hydrometer reading at 1.022. Wednesday it was at 1.020 (76% apparent attenuation at that point) so I figured I'd wait a little bit before checking it again.

Any point in taking a hydro reading today, or should I wait a couple more days? I'm planning on leaving on primary for a week after it stabilizes, then racking to secondary and starting a Cali Common.

EDIT: I mostly followed Palmer's How to Brew instructions over the kit's, I'll post the full process if it matters (I have copious notes).

If you're not planning to rack it or do anything with it, I don't see the point in taking an SG reading. About two days before you're going to rack it, you can check the SG, and then again right before you rack, to ensure fermentation is finished.

If you're not planning to rack it or do anything with it, I don't see the point in taking an SG reading. About two days before you're going to rack it, you can check the SG, and then again right before you rack, to ensure fermentation is finished.

I figured if it was done today I could rack (and brew) next weekend, but if not then I'd wait another week. That way it has a week of cleanup in the primary once it's done. Is that overkill?

Overkill? No, I wouldn't say overkill. I just wouldn't bother taking another SG if you've got a week before you're going to do anything anyway. If it's done, it is. If it's not, it might be by next week. So, any information gleaned from an SG reading wouldn't really mean much at all.

Since you're doing a secondary, racking when FG reached is fine. I assume it'll be there by the time you rack, but it should be checked to make sure. The best time to check is before you go to rack it.

Overkill? No, I wouldn't say overkill. I just wouldn't bother taking another SG if you've got a week before you're going to do anything anyway. If it's done, it is. If it's not, it might be by next week. So, any information gleaned from an SG reading wouldn't really mean much at all.

Since you're doing a secondary, racking when FG reached is fine. I assume it'll be there by the time you rack, but it should be checked to make sure. The best time to check is before you go to rack it.

Awesome, thanks!

Back