2-way CO2 distributor leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balikian

Reaction score
So that about sums it up. I took a 2-way CO2 distributor I had for my portable CO2 and wanted to clean it up. I removed the valves and fittings, screwed them back in with teflon tape for the threads and had a couple of leaks.

Do you use teflon tape on these threads or leave them bare? If neither, what does one use to seal them?

Thanks!

You use tape, or sealant compound, whichever you prefer.

One of the manifolds I bought came with leaks at the aluminum beam threads that needed retaping. I was surprised that it took a couple of tries to get all 6 ports leak free. The threads cut into the beam seemed really good at stripping the tape off the valve threads.

Keep trying, you'll get it eventually...

Cheers!

What's sealant compound? Like a silicone sealant? I've tried tape about 5 times this morning. Do you use a little? a lot? finger tighten? really wrench it down? I'm just trying to get the leaks sealed in the incoming fitting. I used a little tape and didn't tighten it too much and it leaked. I tightened it a bit more and it leaked more. I used more sealant tape and didn't tighten it too much, it leaked a good amount. I tightened it more and it leaked more. The valves are leaking a little bit, but I'm not there yet. Obviously with those, I would like the valve switches to be facing forward too.

This is all just doing my head in. I'd give some sealant compound a shot if it's going to nail it on the first try.

thanks!

Use at least 3 turns of tape, more if needed, you really can't use too much. The yellow tape made for gas lines is much thicker, you can use that instead. Using thread seal compound in addition to tape maybe better, I don't know. It's done on large diameter pipes. Thread seal compound being a great lubricant, reduces friction when screwing them together, while making a seal.

The aluminum body the distributors are made from is very thin and soft, it's easy to widen or even strip the threads, which can cause leaks. I had to use at least 6-8 turns of white tape, perhaps more on some of the little valves to get them to tighten in the right position, while making a seal. While I overhauled them, I also cleaned out the inside of the distributor bodies, they were filled with (cutting) grease and aluminum shavings.

thanks. Good to know. Right now, I've only got 1 inch teflon tape anyway which is a pain to use on these. I'll pick up some of that thread sealant too for good measure. thanks!

thanks. Good to know. Right now, I've only got 1 inch teflon tape anyway which is a pain to use on these. I'll pick up some of that thread sealant too for good measure. thanks!

I think (yellow) tape is better for filling the void than thread sealant. The (teflon) thread sealant (like Blue Monster) is paste-like. Although it sets up after a few days or weeks, getting more viscous, it doesn't harden like a cement. It's also quite slick. I've never used thread sealant on brew equipment.

Back