2 Vessel K-RIMS Gas Fired Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcoratti76

Reaction score
I am just getting started with all grain and building a starter system using some equipment I already have, while picking up some new pieces. Eventually, I want to go with an electric RIMS tube and PID to better control mash temp. For now, I am planning to use a 2 vessel system, MLT gravity fed to BK/HLT with a pump to recirculate back to MLT. The only heat source is gas heating the BK. I plan to use full volume recirculating between the tanks during the mash using an autosparge to maintain volume in the MLT. I would try to adjust the autosparge to maintain the proper grist/water ratio in the MLT. When mash is complete, drain wort into BK and conduct the boil, recirculate in BK to whirlpool then pump through plate chiller into fermenter. I am just looking for some validation that this would be the appropriate method using this type of setup? I already know it is going to be difficult to work with the gas to maintain the mash temp, but it's my only option at this point. I can't find any info out there for this exact build so I wanted to reach out to the experts for input. Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers!

Not an expert but that's roughly the same set up I've built. Six beers in and it's worked so far, although I have averaged ~65% efficiency which is less than I'd hoped for.

Last edited:
K-RIMS is a solid option IMO. It's what I'm just bringing on line now. Just got my custom eKettle from Spike yesterday. I hadn't noticed that the npt connections are all female, so I had to order a number of male/male adaptors to be able to connect my valves. I had one, but need several more. I was hoping to brew Saturday, but I highly doubt that I'll get the adapters and have time for a test run by then.

I don't envy the task of maintaining temps manually with gas. I did it manually in a recirculating eBIAB rig using an induction burner for a year and that was a nuisance.

Back