2 Stuck Fermentations??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
So this is getting strange and a bit irritating! Two months ago I made a Porter that was suppost to end up at 1.012 and it stalled at 1.018. After rousing the yeast back into suspension and it doing nothing I decided to take the advice of waiting and repitching onto another yeast cake.

The next brew (that i would repitch the porter onto the yeast cake) is a cream ale that is also suppost to end up at 1.012 and again it stalled at 1.018.

Both were mini mash from AHB. I got the ice packs with the yeast but of course they were warm when I got them, they had to travel to Georgia in late July. I made starters and fermentations seemed to be normal.

I checked my hydrometer with tap water and it read 1.002.

Could the recipes be wrong? Is it something else? Advice?

Did re-pitching help or did they still stick at 1.018?

All of my extract beers finished high, no matter what. 1.018 is a bit high, but not so much stuck as underattenuated. You should be safe bottling at 1.018.

I think an extract porter at 1.018 sounds fine. I'm thinking that the cream ale was probably just about done then, too. When I did extracts, sometimes I couldn't get them below about 1.018.

Your hydrometer might be off, but the only way to know is to check it in distilled water.

I think an extract porter at 1.018 sounds fine. I'm thinking that the cream ale was probably just about done then, too. When I did extracts, sometimes I couldn't get them below about 1.018.

Your hydrometer might be off, but the only way to know is to check it in distilled water.

Yeah, what she said. (Worded way better than my response).

Back