2 starters going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i have 2 starters going right now: a lager and a scottish ale. I wondered (not gonna do it now) "what if I blended the 2 of those?"

So, anyone ever blended a lager yeast and something else (maybe a us-05 or a 1968) and made a beer? I did a session black ale with lager yeast at ale temps and it's really good, so I was thinking maybe a pale ale with ? yeast and the lager at ale temps....any thoughts or input?

What lager yeast did you use in the session black ale? I've often wondered whether a world of great beers await us if we use lager yeasts at less clean fermenting temps--they wouldn't be lagers, but they might be great "ales."

That said...

Most ale strains are going to stall at lager temps. Yeast blending is not as popular as it might be owing to cost and the variability. If you want to make a beer consistently (e.g., you're a commercial brewery) a mixed fermentaion is a recipe for disaster--repitching is basically not an option unless you're willing to blend, at which point, you serious cost increases. Homebrewers, obviously, have more flexibility, but the best homebrewers I know are trying to minimize tricky variables: better to find a single strain that works than deal with multi-strain variables.

i used wyeast 2112. fermented at 65°, the beer is delicious, I love the mouthfeel. I am already beginning to wonder if I have just found my new "house yeast" but I don't yet know if I would like it in an IPA. I think there is a (probably many) steam IPA from Anchor but I've never had it.

i typically brew 2 at a time and harvest and repitch yeast so mixing a couple of them wouldn't be a problem, I'm just wanting to avoid KNOWN disasters.

Latest posts

Back