2 row vs 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It describes the shape of the grain head.
2 row heads are flat and 6 row are more spiral.

2 row is preferred for brewing because of more uniform kernel size,
higher yield, and lower protein.
6 row grows better in the US and has higher enzymatic activity.
The extra enzymes can be used to convert cereal adjuncts.

Ahh so adding some 6 row can help when you have a high level of non base grains. Nice.

Any good reccomendations for use and amounts?

6-row also has a stronger flavor.

The original reason that BMC used rice/corn was that those adjuncts mellowed the sharp 6-row flavor, and made the final product taste more like a light German 2-row lager.

I'm sure that the fact that 6-row was cheaper, and the rice/corn was cheaper had no part in the equation? ;)

You can find enzyme ratings for all the base grains that will tell you how much non-malt they can convert, but a typical American lager recipe is:

7lbs 6-row
2lbs flaked corn
30 IBU's hops

nick

egolla said:
It describes the shape of the grain head.
2 row heads are flat and 6 row are more spiral.

2 row is preferred for brewing because of more uniform kernel size,
higher yield, and lower protein.
6 row grows better in the US and has higher enzymatic activity.
The extra enzymes can be used to convert cereal adjuncts.

2 row/6 row refers to the malt grains per stalk. 6 row has a higher yield and is what is used by the larger breweries because it's cheaper.

Not only does 6row have higher diastatic power than 2row, it has higher nitrogen levels, which help compensate for a higher percentage of rice or corn. Low nitrogen levels can lead to increased diacetyl production and other fermentation problems.

HP_Lovecraft said:
6-row also has a stronger flavor.

The original reason that BMC used rice/corn was that those adjuncts mellowed the sharp 6-row flavor, and made the final product taste more like a light German 2-row lager.

I'm sure that the fact that 6-row was cheaper, and the rice/corn was cheaper had no part in the equation? ;)

You can find enzyme ratings for all the base grains that will tell you how much non-malt they can convert, but a typical American lager recipe is:

7lbs 6-row
2lbs flaked corn
30 IBU's hops

nick
what American lager are you talking about? 30ibu's?

Seriously, if there is one, I might try it.

Would 6-row be helpful in brewing a wheat beer? I am putting together a wheat beer recipe that will be 50/50 wheat/barley. I have never used 6-row but would the husks help in preventing stuck sparges?

I would just try it out and see how well it does, but I fear a boilover with wheat and 6-row being the only grains I use.

Back