2 row vs 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n240sxguy

Reaction score
Ok all you brewing geniuses out there that know so much more than me; how does using 6 row in a recipe change it vs using 2 row?

6 row specs: DP 180 L1.8 Extract 76.5%

2 row specs: DP 140 L1.8 Extract 79.5

That means that the 2 row is going to give you slightly more gravity points than 6 row. 6 row has more enzymes, which means it will convert faster and have more diastic power to convert additional ingredients. I'd go for the higher enzymes, since ynless you are doing a commercial mash, you probably would not even notice the GP difference.

Did i pass the quiz???
Guess not (corrected to eliminate pollution of the forums with inaccurate information)
My figures come from Breiss published data.

I thought 6 row had more diastatic power, more enzymes.

Bottom line, you won't see much of a difference in your recipe. I'm told 6 row adds more graininess to the end product, don't know for certain though.

Based on what I've read, swap 6-row and 2-row in william shakes beer's post (of course different maltsters will have different specs):
2 row specs: DP 140 L1.8 Extract 79.5%
6 row specs: DP 180 L1.8 Extract 76.5%

But, like stonehands said, you probably won't see much of a difference. My understanding is that 6-row can be more "grainy" tasting but I think you'd have to have a really good palate to pick it out. Something I recently read stated that 2-row is a "higher quality" malt but I simply see them as useful for different purposes.

According to BeerSmith:

US Two Row
Yield: 79.00 %
Potential: 1.036
Color: 2.0
Coarse Fine Diff: 1.50 %
Max In Batch: 100.00 %
Moisture: 4.00
Must Mash: TRUE
Diastatic Power: 140.0
Protein: 12.30

US Six Row
Yield: 76.00 %
Potential: 1.035
Color: 2.0
Coarse Fine Diff: 1.50 %
Max In Batch: 100.00 %
Moisture: 4.00
Must Mash: TRUE
Diastatic Power: 150.0
Protein: 13.00

There was an article in BYO not long ago about different base malts that said something along the lines of 6 row being able to "handle" more adjuncts in the mash, but I've forgotten the rest.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I got a bag of briess 6 row last night for $45. I thought it was 2 row til I got to the register and saw that it wasn't. A local liquor store is dabbling in homebrew stuff, and this bag hadn't moved for a couple months. They wanted $50 for it, and I offered him $45. As I was paying for it he said he could get 2 row for $42 a bag, so it was a good night all around. The quick search I did before I decided to buy it said it was similar to 2 row, a little more grainy flavored, and had higher diastatic power. That made me assume that's what most of the BMC's use.

Latest posts

Back