2 row vs 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengineer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've begun the process of easing into all grain from extract brewing, and in doing research I've come up with some potentially conflicting information.
In my "Joy of Homebrewing" book he keeps referring to 'high enzyme' 6 row as a base malt. However in my internet research I keep finding that 2 row should be a base malt (at least 50%) due to its higher enzyme levels. (From what I think I've read, the enzymes convert the sugars so the yeast can do it's job more efficiently; and fewer enzymes mean less fermentable sugars for the yeast?)
I can't seem to find a "high enzyme" 6 row malt. And because my book is about 15 years old, I'm going to venture a guess that all of today's 6 row malt might be what the book considers 'high enzyme'.
Does anyone have insight as to weather 2 row or 6 row should be a base malt (single infusion)? Or is my conflicting info out of date, and maybe it doesn't matter anymore?
Thanks!

I use two row even with adjunct grains in the grain bill. I have never had a issue with conversion either.

I suppose though that some recipes would use it just for flavor

I am new as well, but here is my understanding.

Major brewers that use adjuncts (rice and corn) use 6-row due to the larger enzyme quantities. Rice and corn do not have those enzymes, so they need the enzymes from the 6-row to convert the starches in the grain, rice and corn.

The 2-row is what I most often see in home brewing, and I believe it gives your beer more body and more fermentables than 6 row. We don't need any more enzymes than what 2 row provides to get the job done, and we can use a smaller grain bill to get our OG using 2 row vs. 6.

Someone more knowledgeable can jump in, but that is how I understand it from my research.

I am not even sure how much the big boys use 6 row grain. I look out my window and I can see a huge malting plant and all the farmers around here grow 2 row under contract to sell to them.

What twatle said is right. I think back when ure book was written 6-row was more available since it was what big breweries used. Now homebrewing is more popular and more options have opened up. I think since then 2 row has taken the place of 6 row, in homebrewing at least.

I think there are revised edition of the book you are reading that have been updated to be more relevant for homebrewing today.

The amount of enzymes in the grain is referred to as diastic power. Enzymes are present in all unmalted grains. They are denauted to varying degrees by the malting process. Breiss is the only Maltster I have found that published diastic power for their grains online. It is HERE. http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_BrewTypicalAnalysis.pdf
From what I have read, you want to keep your average diastic power of the mash higher than 60. That means if you have 6 LBS of base malt with a diastic power of 120 and 6 lbs of L120 with a DP of 0, your average DP is (6X120)+(6X0)/12 or 60 DP, which would be sufficient to convert the grains without dilution of the enzymes. Both 2 row and 6 row are considered base malts.

The diastatic power of 2-row is now almost equal to 6-row so the difference these days is negligible. Historically 6-row was never used in European breweries...it was considered "inferior" to 2-row.

The diastatic power of 2-row is now almost equal to 6-row so the difference these days is negligible. Historically 6-row was never used in European breweries...it was considered "inferior" to 2-row.

This.
The stigma that 6row has is based on pretty antiquated information.

It depends on the maltster.

Briess 6-Row brewers malt has a diastatic power (Lintner) of about 180.

Briess 2-Row brewers malt has a diastatic power (Lintner) of about 140.

In this case, 6-Row does have a higher diastatic power than 2-Row. In fact it has the same DP as red wheat. That's just crazy.

6-Row makes a fine base malt for any beer. It is recommended to use this "high power" 6-Row over 2-Row for high adjunct recipes (flaked corn, rice, oats) to aid in the conversion. 6-Row may provide an ever so slight, barely noticeable, grainier taste than 2-Row because it has a higher protein content than 2-Row thus having slightly less fermentable sugar.

I make a HomeBrew called: 'Cream of the Cream of Five Crops' (or 'Black Night' because it turns black in the fermenter) which uses 6-Row, Red Wheat, Flaked Corn, Flaked Rice and Flaked Oats. The Red Wheat and 6-Row combine to provide enough DP to convert the Corn, Rice and Oats. It's a rather tasty brew IMO.

Homebrewing is so full of hearsay that nobody seems to know up from down anymore. Find the facts, use the facts, take note of the facts when you brew.

Want the facts, look them up:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_BrewTypicalAnalysis.pdf

Take some time to read the Briess website and maybe try some of their recipes.

Growing up on a farm, we grew the high protein six row barley and used it in the grist for the cows. I'm not sure which I like combining more, barley, wheat, corn or oats. Oats are just plain dusty and dirty, but we grew all natural, cleaning our own seed, etc...

For what its worth, the 6 row I use has been tested to have a DP of 120.
http://riverbendmalt.com/?page_id=21
I get the same efficiency #s as I do with 2 row. Plus, its grown and malted locally.
I buy it direct from the malter for like $45 (the prices listed on the site are for a 50lb sack).

YMMV

Per pound, 6-row has more husk and protein and fewer carbohydrates than 2-row, although the differences are not huge. For these reasons, 6-row is generally considered less desirable than 2-row, although all of these disadvantages become advantages when working with large amounts of corn and/or rice. Historically, I believe that American brewers used corn and rice to counteract the effects of 6-row, the only barley grown locally. It was later that the economic and body-thinning qualities of corn and rice were attractive.

I think the flavor components of 6-row get short shrift. It does add a unique biscuity taste to a wort. I created an Anglo-American IPA with half Maris Otter and half 6-row.,

Anglo-American IPA:

7lbs Maris Otter
6 lbs American Six-Row malt
8 oz Crystal 40
8 oz torrified wheat
8 oz Victory Malt

Malt at 148 F
Boil 60 min

Hop additions:
1 oz Chinook at 45min
1 oz Centennial at 30 m
1 oz Centennial at 10 m
dry hop, 1 oz Citra at 10 days out
dry hop 1 oz Citra at 5 days out

Yields 7.1% ABV, 52 IBU

First time I had really nailed a "juicy" IPA. I think the 6-row's character complemented the Citra really well.

Back