2 row vs. 2 row??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I am about to make the jump to AG and was looking at some websites for grain and I saw that there are a few brands that make 2 row and there is a pretty big price swing between them.

So for those who have been doing AG for a while is there any difference in which brand you buy, or is 2 row just that 2 row no matter who you get it from.

There are a few variables you could be seeing, the first is that they could be regional 2 row malts. German, Belgian, British, American, etc. One may cost more than another.

Another could just be the different brands of malters are more expensive than the other. I wont get into which brand is better because I honestly dont know.

welp, there are many different brands that sell 2-row, but i'm assuming you're talking about the difference between british 2-row (marris otter) and domestic 2-row.

marris otter is grainer and maltier and better for english ales and maltier beers in general without using specialty malts.

2-row is cleaner and i think it has a slightly higher diastatic power.

the power of grayskull!

Lots of variables at play here.

2-row Seed type (oddly enough not all barley seed is the same, somehow), Geographic yields, seasonal effects (winter barley as opposed to other), malting practices (drum or floor malting), and lastly kilning variations.

These all play a part in making each available basic 2 row, different. To decide which is best takes a lot of brewing to discern which you like most or if you can discern any difference aside from the impact to your wallet.

Personally, I like the Brewers Malt and the Floor malted Maris Otter.

Nice quick responses, although the stuff about MO and 2 row is nice to know, I was talking about company's and 2 row, such as Rahr vs. Great western. As long as it's 2 row does it really matter what brand it is?

Again, each Company applies differing processes to the barley to call it there own. And, similar to hops regional soils also play a part in the barleys base character.

The problem here is that you are looking for a difinitive answer to a subjective topic. To some grain is grain, to others the subtle nuances make the difference.

Gila sums it up right there. But if you are looking for a suggestion I'll say this, I personally think Rahr is a solid go to brand for Amercian 2 row. Ive never been disappointed.

Awesome thanks for clearing that all up. I will probably end up buying a small quantity of a each and just make edwort's haus pale ale with the different grains and see what flavor differences I get.

Thanks again guys. This place rocks for information.

Back