2 row plus munich vs pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jubelale

Reaction score
Any opinions on the similarities of adding Munich malt to a recipe with regular 2 row to add a malty/nutty background vs just using pale ale malt such as Maris Otter or GW northwest pale ale malt?

Do it. Munich is delicious. Just make sure you know who the maltster is - not all Munichs are created equal (some are more of a crystal than a base malt).

I've used Weyermann with great success.

TyTanium said:
Do it. Munich is delicious. Just make sure you know who the maltster is - not all Munichs are created equal (some are more of a crystal than a base malt).

I've used Weyermann with great success.

+1. Weyermann Munich is amazing. Works great in many recipes, and also as a base malt.

Munich tastes bready, pale malt at least MO to me tastes biscuity or crackery. I don't really have a better way to explain it.

I've been contemplating the same, except I was figuring Vienna would be a better choice than Munich. I can't get pale ale malt, only pilsner and Weyerman Munich, Vienna, and specialty grains. I haven't done it yet though. The Munich has a sweeter taste than my memory of MO.

Back