2-Row Pils vs 2-row Pale vs 2-row Brewer's Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the neophyte question. I plan to brew Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale and Kolsch.

One recipe calls for "2-Row Pale Malt" and the other "2 row Pils Malt". I bought a 50-lb bag of Breiss "2-row Brewer's Malt"

Is 2-row just 2-row or is there a difference? I'm not familiar with the difference between these three distinctions above.

Thanks!

2-row is a variety of barley, from which you can make many kinds of malt. Pils malt is usually a little lighter in color than pale malt (less kilned) but for the most part you can use them interchangeably unless you are going for a super-light-colored beer or want that specific grainy Pils flavor. The malt you have is great for both recipes and is probably closer to "pale malt" than to "pils malt". Check the color on the bag to get the color right in your recipe calculator (if you use one).

2 Row Pilsen = lightest malt SRM, subtle grainy cracker-ish flavor
2 Row Standard = 2ish SRM, your typical base malt for everything
2 Row Pale = 2-3 SRM, kilned longer than 2R Standard, edging more toward English style malts for flavor,

its really a color issue mostly but flavor is to the beholder, everyone has a different perspective.

I agree with sumbrewindude on flavor but as the recipe calls for a base grain if doing a pale ale; no difference but a lighter beer yes there is pils is the lightest you can buy in color.

I will add one thing that different brands and from different countries add more or less diastatic sugars to the mash being pils from Germany adds more than american

Latest posts

Back