2 row Pils and 2 row Pale ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew and I'm short 6 lbs. of 2 row pale. (out of 22# for a 10 gallon batch of porter) I have an open sack of 2 row Pils. Any reason why I should go ahead and open a sack of pale for 6 lbs. instead of using pils?

I'm having a tough time finding a noticeable difference since both are domestic.

I cannot find much of a difference between them Ed, according to the Brewmasters Bible;
The Pale Malt 2-row is suposed to be 2.5 - 4 SRM with a 1.030 - 1.035 SG Yield.
The Pils Malt 2-row shows 1-2 SRM and 1.035 - 1.040 SG yield.

I dont think you would notice a difference.

the_bird said:
For what beer? Unless it's really light on the hops, I doubt you'll tell much of a difference.

A Robust Porter. Pretty light eh? :cross:

I wonder if I should just use pils instead of pale for the beer, since I'm down to two 8# foodsaver bags of pale (at least till Sunday :D).

I use Pils as my base malt for every beer I make. There's nothing it can't do well, it seems.

I get my grain in sacks from a local brewery, but 2-row Pale comes to them sans sack and goes straight into the hopper, so the only way it comes out is through the auger, the mill, and into the tun. So no Pale for me...But I'm thrilled with using Pils.

I say go for it, and enjoy it.

Lucky Dog Brewing said:
Do you think I should boil my recipe for 90 minutes too since I'm using Pilsen?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56910
Yes.

I boil all my Pils recipes for 90 minutes.
All my pale malts for 75 minutes.

Get a good violent boil.
Don't ever cover your pot.
Cool that wort down to below 140 degrees as quickly as possible. (140 degrees seems to be the magic point for DMS production)

BierMuncher said:
Yes.

I boil all my Pils recipes for 90 minutes.
All my pale malts for 75 minutes.

Get a good violent boil.
Don't ever cover your pot.
Cool that wort down to below 140 degrees as quickly as possible. (140 degrees seems to be the magic point for DMS production)

Thanks BierMuncher. How much reduction in volume can I anticipate in a 90 minute boil? approximately 2 gallon? If thats right then my preboil volume should be about 7- 7.5 gallons for a 5-5.5 gallon batch correct?

BMW-LBD

Nearly all of my beers have been 60 minute boils, some even on the stovetop, so not as vigorous as it probably should be, and all have used Pils as the base malt. Not one of my beers has had a DMS problem. If you can't really go with a 90 minute, hard boil, don't sweat it too much.

imasickboy said:
Nearly all of my beers have been 60 minute boils, some even on the stovetop, so not as vigorous as it probably should be, and all have used Pils as the base malt. Not one of my beers has had a DMS problem. If you can't really go with a 90 minute, hard boil, don't sweat it too much.
I was at a competition a few months ago as a steward. I had the chance to sample dozens of entries.

I tasted at least 5 different beers that had that slight cooked corn flavor. Some of the beers had that flavor masked by hops, crystal, adjuncts, etc... But the beers that were designed to be bright and clean tasting (Kolsch, Blonde, etc...) the corn flavor really did come through.

It's only an extra 30 minutes. If you want to follow the advice and experience of the pros, give it a 90 minute boil. Give it a vigorous boil.

DMS...... Damnit!

I learned something today

+1 Gotta love this forum!

5# of pils in tomorrows brew. This is a good excuse to use the burner I picked up this week for an extra half hour. No matter how old you get playing with fire is always fun.
:ban:

I brewed two 5 gallon batches yesterday.

The first used all two-row, the second had 20% pils. Specialty grains were slightly different but both had same hopping and yeast.

I did 90 minute boils primarily because it took me that long to get equipment cleaned and ready and sparging was staggered between the two.

Maybe I got lucky with the longer boil.

On the other hand, one didn't boil as vigorously as the other.

This morning the one with pils is bubbling away, the other is not. The Pils batch also has much more cold break.

I was very impressed with my immersion wort chiller. Both batches were almost instantly cooled to around 120F and hit 80F in about 15 minutes. Gotta love that cold winter water out of the hose! Back in Sept, it took about 45 minutes with that chiller to get the batches to 80F.

Versatile may be, but what about that extra 30 minutes of boil? Better stock up on marshmallows. No reason to let all that extra flame go to waste.

So I brewed two more five gallon batches this next yesterday. One used only pilsner malt as the base with a bit of flaked corn.

I planned to do 90 minute boils on both but the weather didn't cooperate and the wind was so cold/strong, my burners couldn't keep them boiling.

I settled with 60 minutes for each.

Oh well... Here's to beer...

Back